Re: preview pane in Outlook or Thunderbird??

Vicky Vaughan

Hi Rob. If I press Control plus D, the message is deleted and I am placed on the header of the next message, but it does not open.

Thank you.

Vicky

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Rod Hutton
Sent: Monday, December 4, 2017 1:54 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] preview pane in Outlook or Thunderbird??

Hi Vicky,

Yes, except that I'm using Window-Eyes rather than JFW, and, yet, this shouldn't matter whatsoever.
So, what happens if you press Ctrl-D when viewing a message that you want to delete?

Best,

Rod

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Vicky Vaughan
Sent: December 4, 2017 1:37 PM

Hello,
Are you using Outlook 2016, Windows 10 and JAWS 2018?

I am unable to use Ctrl-D to drop into the next message body.
Please advise.
Thanks

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Rod Hutton
Sent: Saturday, December 2, 2017 6:13 AM

Hi Mary,

I use Outlook in Office 365, and I can whiz through messages which open as soon as you delete the one you're reading.
I haven't configured the preview pane since, coming from using Window-Eyes, and, indeed, continuing to use it, the Window-Eyes Outlook Enhance app always turns it off automatically.
The key is to set up Outlook to load the next or previous message automatically, depending on how you sort them in your current folder.
Since I sort my messages by subject, and then by date, with oldest at the bottom, I set up Outlook in the Outlook Mail Options to load the previous message automatically, and so this loads the newest message as soon as I delete it using the Outlook hotkey Ctrl-D.
As for reading the current message automatically, I use a Window-Eyes Cursor key definition for the cursor key Ctrl-D to execute the read to end command, and this just reads the next loaded message after you manually delete the current one.
With Jaws, the automatic reading of messages is set up using the quick verbosity dialog, accessed with Insert-V.
That's all there is to it, although, I admit, perhaps it may sound a little complicated. (smile)

Best,

Rod

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mary Otten
Sent: December 1, 2017 9:12 AM
Subject: [TechTalk] preview pane in Outlook or Thunderbird??

Hi all,

I have come from a Windows xp machine using a very old email client, and I have also used the Mac native email client in its classic view. Both of these have the distinction of being able to use a single keystroke to get to a preview pane where you can read much of, and sometimes all of, an email message, without having to open the message and start a say all, then close the message and delete it. I find the preview pane to be a more efficient means of dealing with a lot of email. I have both Outlook from Office 16, which I haven't even looked at yet, because I figure it is seriously complicated, and Thunderbird, latest release version. Is there a way in either of these clients to have them open with focus either in the inbox, or at least on the folder preview of available boxes for a given account, then let you get into the inbox and have a preview pane available with one press of the tab key? Also, in T-bird, it always opens to the tool bar with the inbox tab selected. I would prefer that it open with the inbox tree view in focus, not that useless tab. More wasted keystrokes. Is there a way to make this happen?\

Mary

---
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
http://www.avg.com

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.