Re: email programs for use in windows 10

Gene

There is the version of Outlook Express that runs in Windows 10 that used to be free in older versions but the person who made it compatible with Windows 10 now requires donations to get later versions.  Since a required donation isn't a don'ation but a fee, later versions are no longer free.

the other version you are trying is called something like Outlook Express Classic.  It isn't Outlook Express.  It is a program designed to imitate the Outlook Express interface and isn't fully accessible.  that program won't have the disappearing problem that Outlook Express does during Windows 10 major updates.  Windows 10 recognizes Outlook Express as a program not intended to be on the machine and removes it.  The Outlook Express Classic program, not being Outlook Express, is undisturbed by the updating procedure.

Gene
----- Original Message -----

Sent: Monday, December 11, 2017 12:06 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] email programs for use in windows 10

There is another version of Outlook Express that will run in Windows 10, it is free but some features don't work. Then there is the Classic Outlook Express version which is not very accessible. The run as XP version is a paid version that gives you product keys to install. That is the version I am running and I haven't run it long enough to see if major updates will effect it, the monthly updates, so far has not effected it.  that is the reason I was asking the version he was running.
Sent: Monday, December 11, 2017 12:32 PM

It must be, because no other version will run in higher than XP.  The e-mail program being removed when a major update occurs is a known problem.  I haven't heard of e-mail being removed but evidently, it may happen, even if rarely.

Gene
Sent: Monday, December 11, 2017 10:56 AM

I am running the run as xp version of Outlook Express and would like to know if this is the version you are running.
Sent: Monday, December 11, 2017 10:02 AM

I'm still trying to use a version of outlook express.  It scares me though because one time when windows updated itself, it blew away OE ande all my mail.  So0 I turned off updates.

Sent: Sunday, December 10, 2017 10:46 PM

I agree both with Marie and with Ron. A couple of months ago, I suggested that Windows mail was too simplistic because it had no filtering capabilities in addition to which that I must use it with Imap.  I hate Imap and much prefer Pop3. The responses I got suggested that my views were tantamount to heresy.

Don Roberts

On 12/10/2017 7:44 PM, Marie wrote:

It is interesting that you say the new Mail app in Win 10 is like Outlook Express. I find little similarity between the two at all. The closest to OE is Windows Live Mail and I hate Windows lack of support for it just because they came out with Mail.
JMT
Marie

Sent: Sunday, December 10, 2017 3:36 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Default email program is windows10 mail. It is similar to outlook express. Just set it up with your gmail account and use it. Nothing special you have to do.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Sunday, December 10, 2017 05:11
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] email programs for use in windows 10

What is the default windows 10 program for email use?

Anything I should know when using jaws 18 and a gmail account?

Thanks

Keith

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.