Re: Cassette Recorders

Gene

So you have a machine to play the recordings and they are all single track recordings, as I understand matters.  Are you using a desktop or a laptop computer?  If you are using a laptop, you may have to buy an external sound card.  Then you will need a recording program.  It sounds as though MP3 Direct Cut would be good for what you are doing.  and, if you don't have one, you will need a patch cord to connect the recorder, from its earphone jack to the sound card. 

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, December 12, 2017 4:32 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Cassette Recorders

i have purchased my own 4 track tape. by a p h. i live in pakistan so it is not provided by n l s. my notes are in cacets i want to degitalize them.
Sent: Wednesday, December 13, 2017 3:12 AM

The question says that the person has four track tapes but he/she didn't specify what is meant.  The most likely meaning is that they are tapes recorded by a library for the blind.  We don't know what library service it is and whether the library of Congress format is used.  We can give general directions for recording tapes but without knowing more, we can't specifically address the format well.  And we don't know if the tapes are recorded at the standard speed or at 15/16, as Library of Congress tapes are.

Gene
Sent: Tuesday, December 12, 2017 3:36 PM

Gene

Yes, you mentioned four track tapes and I thought that you were referring to those once used by the NLS.

Jeff

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Tuesday, December 12, 2017 3:20 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Are you talking about library books recorded on four separate tracks? 

Gene

Sent: Tuesday, December 12, 2017 1:18 PM

i have 4 track tape kindly guide me how to digitize the casits. regards

Sent: Tuesday, December 12, 2017 8:12 PM

What is the robot toy?

Thanks,

On Dec 11, 2017, at 8:56 PM, Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@...> wrote:

I forget the name of it. But I got a USB tape player off of amazon for $20. I used it with audacity audio editor which is free and accessible to digitize all of my old tapes. Audacity can even take the old 4-track tapes and with some editing on your part you can turn each track of the 4 track cassette into its own mp3 file. I had to do this with the 2xl robot tapes that came with the 2xl robot toy. 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Monday, December 11, 2017 22:03
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] Cassette Recorders

Hi All,

I have a friend that has been collecting old time radio shows since

1974. He wants to digitize all of his tapes. We went online to look at

cassette players that would allow tapes to be converted to MP3. Has

anyone used any of these players? If so, can you recommend one that is

accessible? I don't want to have him order one only to find that it is

not.

Thanks

Allen

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.