Re: PC Sometimes Won't Shut DownCompletely

George McCoy <slr1bpz@...>

I agree, Carlos.  The alt f accelerator does not always work.  I don’t like pressing the power button and will spend lots of time and effort not to do so.  Sometimes, however, it’s the only option.

George

Sent: Tuesday, October 27, 2015 11:16 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] PC Sometimes Won't Shut DownCompletely

It is not that there are programs running after Windows shuts down.  The point is that when a process/application hangs in memory and will not close, Windows is not able to complete the shutdown procedure.  Windows may successfully close down most applications including your screen reader, but a single application which will not close can halt the shutdown process.  Even Alt F will not always work in such cases.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, October 27, 2015 11:58 PM

What programs would still be running after windows shuts down?  Because that’s what we have talked about: windows and the screenreader both shutting down, but the computer still running.  Pam.

Sent: Monday, October 26, 2015 4:17 PM

No.  Pressing and holding the power button simply turns off power to the computer.  The forced shutdown command will try to force programs to close and then shut down windows in a proper shutdown.  Holding the power button causes an improper shutdown.

I haven't used the forced shutdown command but I'm explaining what a forced shutdown is and what the command should do by definition.

Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, October 26, 2015 3:14 PM

Is pressing Alt-F to force a shut down the same as pressing and holding the power button?

Gerald

Sent: Monday, October 26, 2015 3:19 PM

Sometimes, a program does not shut down thus hanging the whole shutdown process.  That program is rarely the screen reader.  So, the screen reader shuts down and then a message appears saying that windows is waiting on one or more background programs to close.  We don’t get the message because the screen reader has already shut down.  There is a button in that dialog labeled force shutdown.  The accelerator key for that button is alt f.
If you have waited a decent interval, say, a minute or minute and a half and the computer has not shut down, try pressing alt f to force an unresponsive program or process to shut down.  It doesn’t always work but it does work a surprisingly large number of times.

Hth,
George

Sent: Saturday, October 24, 2015 9:44 PM

I can’t explain it, but I can tell you that this has happened to both my desktop computers I have had that had versions of windows on them.  I mention that because my other desktop that had dos on it didn’t have a way to shut it off automatically like that.  I had to flip a switch.  But both computers that had shut off as a part of the shut down, it sometimes does that, where it exits windows and just sits there on.  Occasionally, I have walked away and not paid attention, assuming that it has shut all the way off, and come back later, only to find out that it is still on.  Hopefully, somebody can enlighten us both.  Pam.

Sent: Monday, October 19, 2015 6:35 AM
Subject: [TechTalk] PC Sometimes Won't Shut DownCompletely

Most of the time, when I press Alt-F4 from the desktop of my Windows 7 PC and click okay on the shut down option, it will exit Windows and shut down normally and the power will shut off.  But once in a while, when I click on okay for the shut down option, I hear the exit Windows sound, but the power does not shut off.  The internal cooling fan continues to run, and the tray for the DVD/CD drive opens and closes when I press the eject button, which means that although the PC has exited Windows, the power remains on.  When this happens, I have to press and hold the power button on the front panel for a few seconds to insure that the PC completely shuts down and the power shuts off.  Can anyone explain why my PC will occasionally refuse to shut down completely when I activate the shut down option?  Thanks.

Gerald

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.