Re: Annoying notification in Outlook Solution

Jeff Christiansen

Jeffrey

I offered this solution a couple weeks ago so I do not know if you have tried this. The VFO verbosity solution you described would not prevent new mail from being read via the win ten notifications.

The following steps will, permit outlook to play the chime for incoming mail but stop each new message from being read by JAWS on receipt. If you desire not to hear the chime acknowledging new mail, the fetch times would need to be reset to what you desire in outlook. What Gene is suggesting.

First, press windows key and release, type notifications. Before you are able to finish typing notifications, you will hear, notifications and action center. Press enter.

At this point in the dialog you will need to tab several times. My machine and programs are different so I cannot offer tab three times or eight. If you need to move backwards just use, shift tab.

You want to use the tab key until you hear outlook 2013 button, in my case I have 2016. If you were to tab once more you should hear, outlook 2013 button on, press your space bar to uncheck.

You can use Alt F4 to close as there is no save button here. 

You will now only hear a chime on incoming mail, JAWS will no longer read the email message.

HTH

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Saturday, December 16, 2017 7:18 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Annoying notification in Outlook

Someone else may address my suggestion.  I wouldn't be surprised if you can turn off automatic checking for mail with IMAP which would stop the problem.

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Saturday, December 16, 2017 7:31 PM

Gene,

My IP uses Imap for incoming mail and SMTP for outgoing.

Jeff

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Saturday, December 16, 2017 8:20 PM

GMail isn't a mail program.  It is an e-mail provider.  If you are saying you used gMail with a browser, I'm not talking about anything of the sort.  You can continue to use Comcast or whatever provider you want.  I'm talking about using something like Thunderbird or Windows Live Mail.  You can still keep Outlook on your machine and try another program.

Ribbons won't stop you from trying other e-mail programs.  Thunderbird doesn't use ribbons.  the old version of Windows Live Mail doesn't use ribbons.  If you are using IMAP, I don't know if the option is available I am discussing about not automatically downloading messages.  If you are using POP, it is.  If it is available, that would work around the problem.  If it can't be solved other ways, that would solve it.

Gene

Sent: Saturday, December 16, 2017 6:41 PM

Gene,

I’ve been using it for many years and tried others such as Gmail which I found too difficult.  It has all the features I want, save this new notification which I believe vfo can eliminate.  When I found that  my old desktop was failing, I was delighted to find it in Office ten.  I’m not a whiz like so many of you.  I’m still working on the ribbons.

Jeff

Sent: Saturday, December 16, 2017 7:28 PM

Is there any particular reason you use Outlook?  I see more complaints about it than about the other major e-mail programs discussed on the blindness technology lists I follow.  You may or may not be able to solve the problem and if you can, we don't know how long it may take.  I would suggest three approaches:

If you want to continue to use Outlook and not have the problem, turn off automatic downloading of messages.  Manually execute the download messages command in the program when you want to read new mail. 

The second approach is to try another e-mail program. 

Of course, there is the third approach, to continue to try to solve this problem and if you want to do so, maybe a call again to VFO support might help.  If you didn't last time, this time having the person tell you how to do whatever was done might allow you to do this when necessary, even if that is two or three times a week.  You could very quickly stop the bahavior if it works, even if it isn't permanent. 

Gene

Sent: Saturday, December 16, 2017 5:53 PM

Gene,

I used tech support at vfo.  It worked for a day or two and has now regressed to the same old stuff.

Jeff

Sent: Saturday, December 16, 2017 6:33 PM

You said a week or two ago that you resolved this issue with a call to the disability service.  I doubt there is even a notifications area, but we'll see what others say.

Gene

Sent: Saturday, December 16, 2017 2:49 PM

Maureen,

How do I reach the notifications area?

Jeff

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Maureen Pranghofer
Sent: Saturday, December 16, 2017 1:54 PM

Hi

I don’t know but can you go to the notifications area and do a delete notifications?

Sent: Tuesday, December 05, 2017 12:59 PM

Subject: [TechTalk] Annoying notification in Outlook

I’m using jaws 2018  and Outlook 16 When a new e mail arrives I hear Notification followed by the name of the sender, the subject and several lines of the message.  This comes on even when I’m doing other tasks as long as Outlook is running in the background.  Is there any way to suppress this annoyance?

Thanks,

Jeff 

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.