Re: Talking household items

Monica Jones

Hey, Walter, I don’t blame you. If I could afford more, I would be buying more as well. The less I have to ask for help, the better. I don’t mind asking if I really need help, but I enjoy the independence of not having to ask. I bought their color identifier and did not like it much, but some of the items I saw at the time seemed pretty good. At that time, Cobalt didn’t have that many items, or, at least, not from where I saw what they had. That has been several years ago and I bet they have much more now. I don’t think I spelled the name of that company right. I should have looked more carefully at the name before I replied. I want to look them up, so I’ll go back and check. Besides, I like spelling names correctly. I was excited about replying to your message.

Sent: Tuesday, October 27, 2015 3:55 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] Talking household items

Hi folks. Can't remember if the thread about talking household appliances and the high price was on Tech Talk or Blind Tech.  In any case I only read  the odd post now and then from that thread but this evening it got me thinking.  I don't know about the USA but here in the UK there are a lot of talking products of varying prices and quality.  I find that the Talking items I got from a company here called Cobolt are of good quality but sometimes a bit pricey.  I guess it depends on what degree you want accessibility and or control.  For example if you only want to warm up a bowl of soup then a standard microwave will meet your needs adequately and for the most part accessibility wouldn't be a problem.  On the other hand?  If you wanted to cook meals from scratch and intend doing a lot of kitchen work then you might well feel you need a micro that has power, facilities and options as well as accessibility.  In other words, it is horses for courses.  I have from this company a talking 16 feet measuring tape.  This tape is great as it will give you the measurement in feet and inches, inches, millimetres, centimetres and meters.  It will convert from one to the other at the press of a button and will also include the case in the measurement if you so wish.  It has a memory to store measurements in for later reference.  This talking measuring tape is around £55 (around $84 at the exchange rate which today was £1 = $1.53) and on the face of it, is expensive, especially when you can get a regular measuring tape for one tenth of that price.  However if I had the regular cheapy tape then I couldn't use it as I am total.  I would have to wait until I got sighted help and thus I'd have to rely on another person.  So, I deemed the price of independence and being able to take measurements immediately and at my convenience worth the price.  I know some just can't afford such a price and that I guess is another matter but I'm just pointing out the reason why I decided to purchase this tape.  I'm fortunate here in the UK because as being registered blind I can get products such as this cheaper as I don't have to pay VAT (sales tax in the states) and I also don't have to pay shipping costs (unless I opt for it to be sent express by courier).  This company cobolt have quite a number of products that speak and I have a few such as talking bathroom scales, talking measuring jug, talking kitchen scales and talking microwave. Regarding their talking Microwave ovens?  They are regular ovens (it used to be Gold Star ovens but don't know about now) and the electronics were removed, including the screen and Cobolt installed their own electronics that allowed speech feedback of every function and that would explain why it was so expensive (The web site will tell you how much they are.  If you want to compare what is available here, and there and the price difference then the Cobolt web site is www.cobolt.co.uk. Walter.

Avast logo

Monni, the coffee gal
Twitter, @Monni52

Facebook, Monica Rose Jones