learning languages. Making the process of both reading and writing them accessible.

Jeremy <icu8it2@...>

Howdy all and hope that everyone is doing well. I had a few questions about the process of learning a language, my example being Hebrew for which I've become interested, that hopefully one of you kind souls might be able to point me in the right direction.

While I've had wonderful luck in being able to find materials, lessons/videos and such that are designed to help in learning, I'm finding that I know next to nothing about the process required to make the written part more accessible. It's my understanding that the ability to actually read the language is controlled from within the text to speech engine, but I'm guessing that the screenreader also needs to support the ability to auto switch between languages, else you'd need to change back and forth manually depending on the language you were trying to read.

If I am correct in my thinking and this is how it works, might someone be able to give me some ideas/advice on whether Talkback on Android has this ability and what TTS would support both English and Hebrew? I'd also like to be able to read both on the computer and I seem to remember seeing an option inside NVDA for auto-language switching, so does this mean I just need a TTS that supports both languages here also?

In as far as being able to type the language for practice, on the phone at least, I'm guessing that perhaps Google's default keyboard on Android could support it. I'm also hoping that it's not too difficult to change my keyboard type on Windows, for the few times I'd be wishing to write those characters, but I'd love to be corrected in anything I might be missing. haha :)
The being able to write the language is sorta secondary though, as I have to be able to read it first. lol
Anyways, hope that all of you have had a wonderful holidays so far and are staying safe and warm and a happy new year coming up, too.
Take care.