Re: learning languages. Making the process of both reading and writing them accessible.

Jeremy <icu8it2@...>

Oh neat, I super appreciated it and I'll be sending you a pm here soon, for sure. I've a friend, a truly wonderful Israeli lady who's been kind enough to be helping me in the areas where I am somewhat struggling, most especially in learning to speak that pesky resh, but I don't know if she'd be familiar with braille. That is a pretty neat topic though. Either way, I am finding it to be a really beautiful language and a joy to learn, so definitely appreciate your offer of help too.
Hope you and yours are doing well and the same goes for everyone else here on list as well.
Take care.

On 12/28/2017 9:24 PM, Melissa wrote:
On 12/28/17, Jeremy <icu8it2@gmail.com> wrote:
Howdy all and hope that everyone is doing well. I had a few questions
about the process of learning a language, my example being Hebrew for
which I've become interested, that hopefully one of you kind souls might
be able to point me in the right direction.

While I've had wonderful luck in being able to find materials,
lessons/videos and such that are designed to help in learning, I'm
finding that I know next to nothing about the process required to make
the written part more accessible. It's my understanding that the ability
to actually read the language is controlled from within the text to
speech engine, but I'm guessing that the screenreader also needs to
support the ability to auto switch between languages, else you'd need to
change back and forth manually depending on the language you were trying
to read.

If I am correct in my thinking and this is how it works, might someone
be able to give me some ideas/advice on whether Talkback on Android has
this ability and what TTS would support both English and Hebrew? I'd
also like to be able to read both on the computer and I seem to remember
seeing an option inside NVDA for auto-language switching, so does this
mean I just need a TTS that supports both languages here also?

In as far as being able to type the language for practice, on the phone
at least, I'm guessing that perhaps Google's default keyboard on Android
could support it. I'm also hoping that it's not too difficult to change
my keyboard type on Windows, for the few times I'd be wishing to write
those characters, but I'd love to be corrected in anything I might be
missing. haha :)
The being able to write the language is sorta secondary though, as I
have to be able to read it first. lol
Anyways, hope that all of you have had a wonderful holidays so far and
are staying safe and warm and a happy new year coming up, too.
Take care.

Hi Jeremy. On your windows keyboard once you enable Hebrew in the
language settings, then the windows key and the space will toggle you
between English and Hebrew. I can get NVDA to change languages but not
to toggle between them I do not use Android so I have no experience
with that. If you read braille, I can help you learn how to read
Hebrew if you are interested. Please write me off list ok?

Sincerely,
Melissa