Re: learning languages. Making the process of both reading and writing them accessible.

Jeremy <icu8it2@...>

I might be incorrect, but I think just as long as the TTS (text to speech) engine has support for being able to interpret a language, the voices under that TTS should only give slight differences in how the language sounds are generated, how it sounds when spoken. This would be similar to eloquence and the differences between US English and I think it's called UK English. So yeah, just as long as I've got it about right, I guess I'm wondering what would be the best text to speech engine to try. :)
Pretty much eloquence and Espeak are the only TTSs that I have any real experience with, plus what ever the one is that is used on the IPhone, so I don't know too much about any others. hehe
Thanks bunches.
Take care.

On 12/29/2017 1:50 PM, Leo Bado wrote:

hi Jeremy,

what do you mean exactly?

are you looking for a tts program? or just a synthetizer / voice ?

El 29/12/2017 a las 11:53, Jeremy escribió:
Hi Leo and thank you bunches for the response.
That's sort of where I've been heading in my path to learning it, although, it's only now that I've really been able to get anything useful about the written aspect of the language. As far as the speaking part goes though, I've had wonderful luck in being able to find loads of different lessons and such on proper pronunciation, proper use of words, the words themselves, etc, so it hasn't been all that bad yet. As I was telling Melissa privately, I did figure out that I could also use Google translate, with the first language set to Hebrew and the translated one to English and it works quite well for testing out my own pronunciation, but it does have a few tiny shortcomings. My Israeli friend has been truly wonderful in helping me with other parts I've had issues with and with her being a native speaker, that's even better. I do agree though that once I reach that stage where my comprehension is good enough to use podcasts and such, that's definitely the rout I'd like to take. I even thought about figuring out a way to get access to Israeli television newscasts and listening to those too. lol

I love the idea that you also mentioned, grabbing bits of web pages written in Hebrew and copying them into a word document and then working through them a bit at a time, so that begs the question, what advice can you give on Windows-supported TTSs that might support the language? I know there's quite the difference between those TTSs that support Spanish and ones that might support Hebrew, but figured it was worth asking. :)
Best wishes and hope you are doing well.
Take care.

On 12/29/2017 7:14 AM, Leo Bado wrote:

Hi, apart from other people told you

I want to suggest some lines here.

I’m a Spanish speaker and not exactly a young dude, I’m 35 years old and started learning English on September 2015, that would be two years ago and now I read books, listen up podcasts and even I’m able to speak with a native speaker English on whatsapp.

So, I would like to know I did something right on my learning process.

Of course, on internet there are so much English learning material than Hebrew, that’s a fact and something you should be aware, besides, I don’t want to discourage you but you should know Hebrew is not exactly, what we would say, into the 5 top ten easy languages to learn, even por people who speak many languages, however it is not one of the most difficult languages either.

You can contrast this information by doing a search on the web.

I suggest to use many synthetizers as you can, listening up different synthetizers gives you a better understanding, of course try to find a good podcast, a basic one at first and eventually look for an advanced one.

Ask for any Hebrew native speaker for connecting you with a mailing list for chatting so you can see how they use the vocabulary on a daily bases.

If you use windows 10, great!, this OS brings you excellent synthetizers that in my opinion are more efficient and and understandable for a beginner, so all you would have to to do is download the respective package.

Alt + shihft taggle between keyboard languages.

Find on internet webs with your prefer topics and copy them into word, then slowly read them and  look into a dictionary every word you do not understand, at first, only do this with specific words repeated on the text again and again, important to determine if it is an article, a noun or a verb.

Later on your learning process I suggest start reading books, specially biographies or memories, this is because language contained on this books is so much closer to a vocabulary use on a daily bases than any other genra.

As I said before, I do not want to discourage you, but do some more research on internet and try to find where are the wick points  for ang English native speaker to for learning Hebrew, this way you would be clear about where exactly to start and what objective procrastinate.

For instance, for me as I native Spanish speaker I quickly discovered pronunciation will be my wickness, so I do not pay so much attetntion to this but I will have to do it later because I want to sound natural or something closer at least when speaking with a native.  But if I would have started for this objective, as you would suppose, I would have abandone the whole learning English process, so I focused on reading that is what suits me!

Anyways, good luck!

Lol

El 29/12/2017 a las 06:34, Ann Parsons escribió:
Hi all,

Jeremy, I'm sure that someone can help you with the audio end of things.  However, I would strongly suggest that you explore learning Braille and Hebrew Braille in particular.  I don't know much about this but if you're wanting to learn both Modern Hebrew plus leturgical Hebrew, contact The Jewish Guild for the Blind in NYC. They will have info for you

<smiling>  I don't know if 'liturgical' is the right word for Hebrew used in religious services and for the Bible, but it's the only word I know.   There is a difference between the two, I think.

Ann P.
.