Re: An unusual network problem

Jeff Christiansen

Have you tried placing the windows machines into the same workgroup?

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Steve Matzura
Sent: Thursday, January 04, 2018 9:00 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] An unusual network problem

Both desktops.

On 1/3/2018 7:08 PM, Blaster wrote:
@ Steve, Are one of those pc's a laptop? Or are they both desktops?

Blaster

On 1/3/18, Steve Matzura <number6@noisynotes.com> wrote:
My call to Microsoft yielded absolutely nothing (say it again!). In
fact, I had to call them twice. First I tried the Disability Help
Line, and when the nice person went through everything she could
think of, including trying to get both machines to leave and rejoin a
homegroup (which succeeded after about three tries on her part), still no
happiness.

Then it was on to the network support line (1-800-642-7676). The guy
I spoke with tried to tell me that doing a system restore would cure
my problem. Lucky for me, I did full image backups in between calls.
Both restores (one on each computer) failed because they don't take
into acount that antivirus software is running. On one machine I have
only Windows Defender (f.k.a. Microsoft Security Essentials), while
on one machine I also have Malwarebytes. (And what about that pesky
tray application then?)

So I still can't access either machine from the other via the network
view on the Desktop. I haven't the first or faintest clue what broke,
or why, but until I feel like sitting on one of their helpless help
lines for forty-five minutes before getting answered, I'll just have
to access them via the Run dialog.

On 1/3/2018 8:16 AM, Steve Matzura wrote:
I actually did that but failed to add that to the problem details I
originally posted. It was the next thing I did after rebooting
everything. Everything shows up on the network that should--tablets,
phones (where applicable), NAS, TV set-top boxes, ... just not the
two Windows computers. Come to think of it, I don't think my Linux
box shows up either, which it used to. All this started after a
Windows 10 update last week. That's why I suspect that is what broke
things. I'll keep at it, though.

On 1/2/2018 7:15 PM, Michael Boyd wrote:
Steve,

Have you tried resetting your modem and/or router? This will often
solve problems that one might experience. The items that you have
listed, your TV, cable boxes and such are typically connected to
your network these days. If resetting (power reset) does not fix
the problem, a call to your internet provider might be in order.
This is assuming that your gateway is provided by the ISP. If you
own your own equipment, then call the manufacturer.

Michael