Re: getting startup and shut down back and can theybeconfigured in Win10

Jeremy <icu8it2@...>

Things can even be worse than the draining of the batteries. :)
I know for a fact that if circumstances are just right and the laptop doesn't sleep/shutdown properly, things can actually get hot enough to cause damage to the case it's being stored in, like fire. lol
While I've personally never had this happen with my computer, I know someone who has and he didn't catch it until the cloth inside his computer case had started smoking.

I'm of the mind as to not completely trust a software based means of determining if the computer will successfully shut down, so I've always made sure that it was shut down before placing it in its case. I suppose that a physical button/switch type thing that might be used to detect the lid being closed, that being hardware, would be good enough, but I still don't care to take the chance. I never did ask as to how he had it configured, whether it was set to shutdown on closing the lid, sleep on closing it, whatever, but I know that whatever it was supposed to do, it somehow continued running while it was confined in that nice insulated case and it was on to the barbecuing.

Perhaps on a newer type laptop, with a processor that isn't design to run so hot, temperatures would stay below the point where an ignition would take place. If this was one of the fanless versions though, I'd be worried about extra heat that that fan would normally help to dissipate. Even if temperatures didn't reach that high, I'd imagine it not so good for the hardware to reach temps that it might not have been designed for.
Take care.

On 1/4/2018 10:15 PM, Gene wrote:

If you could guarantee me that every time a computer begins a shutdown, it always completes, your statement would be correct.  It wouldn't be a very pleasant occurrence to shut down a laptop running on batteries and have the shutdown not fully complete, thus continuing to drain the battery.  Computers usually shut down but not every time.

Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, January 04, 2018 8:45 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] getting startup and shut down back and can theybeconfigured in Win10

It is not always that easy. If you have a laptop that has no fan and runs on a solid state drive, there are no operational sounds from the computer. One would have to know how to create an error that is accompanied by a sound to have anything come from the speakers. The long and short of it is, if you shutdown the computer in the proper  fashion, and you have the Power Options set to shutdown the laptop when the lid is closed, then there is nothing to worry about.

Michael

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Josh Kennedy
Sent: Thursday, January 04, 2018 12:43 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] getting startup and shut down back and can theybeconfigured in Win10

You just press buttons on it, if nothing happens, it is shut down. It is same with my android tablet. When I hit shut down or power off I give it 10 or so seconds, hit some buttons, if nothing happens it is shut down.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Thursday, January 4, 2018 09:56

So here’s a dumb question from a Windows 7 user.  If there is no shutdown sound in Windows 10, how can you tell for sure that your computer has shutdown successfully, especially if you have a laptop with no fan or DVD drawer? At least with a desktop, you can usually tell that the fan has stopped running, and the DVD drawer won’t open when you press the eject button, which confirms that the computer has shutdown.  

Gerald

Sent: Thursday, January 04, 2018 8:18 AM

Subject: Re: [TechTalk] getting startup and shut down back and can they beconfigured in Win10

If you have fast startup disabled, you can go to sounds and there you can check the windows startup sound, but you can not get the shutdown sound back, even if you do a registry hack to list the sound it still will not work no matter what sound you assign to it.

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Thursday, January 4, 2018 7:44 AM

Subject: Re: [TechTalk] getting startup and shut down back and can they beconfigured in Win10

Go to start menu, in the search type control panel. Then go to sounds and to the sound schemes tab and configure the sounds the way you want.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Thursday, January 4, 2018 07:04
Subject: [TechTalk] getting startup and shut down back and can they beconfigured in Win10

Can you get the startup and shut down sounds back in win10 and can they be configured?  If so how?  Thanks.

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.