I'm of the mind as to not completely trust a software based means of determining if the computer will successfully shut down, so I've always made sure that it was shut down before placing it in its case. I suppose that a physical button/switch type thing that might be used to detect the lid being closed, that being hardware, would be good enough, but I still don't care to take the chance. I never did ask as to how he had it configured, whether it was set to shutdown on closing the lid, sleep on closing it, whatever, but I know that whatever it was supposed to do, it somehow continued running while it was confined in that nice insulated case and it was on to the barbecuing.

Perhaps on a newer type laptop, with a processor that isn't design to run so hot, temperatures would stay below the point where an ignition would take place. If this was one of the fanless versions though, I'd be worried about extra heat that that fan would normally help to dissipate. Even if temperatures didn't reach that high, I'd imagine it not so good for the hardware to reach temps that it might not have been designed for.
Take care.

On 1/4/2018 10:15 PM, Gene wrote:

If you could guarantee me that every time a computer begins a shutdown, it always completes, your statement would be correct.  It wouldn't be a very pleasant occurrence to shut down a laptop running on batteries and have the shutdown not fully complete, thus continuing to drain the battery.  Computers usually shut down but not every time.

Sent: Thursday, January 04, 2018 8:45 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] getting startup and shut down back and can theybeconfigured in Win10

It is not always that easy. If you have a laptop that has no fan and runs on a solid state drive, there are no operational sounds from the computer. One would have to know how to create an error that is accompanied by a sound to have anything come from the speakers. The long and short of it is, if you shutdown the computer in the proper  fashion, and you have the Power Options set to shutdown the laptop when the lid is closed, then there is nothing to worry about.

Michael