Re: Backing up and restoring registry settings

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Donald,

Below is a lot of information that should answer all your questions, except for the registry questions which Gene answered already.  Read all the way through:

From: Carlos
I'm not sure that saving the rules to a text file is possible by any means I am currently aware of.  However, you can backup the rules by exporting the registry key in which they are stored to a .reg file.  You can then merge this .reg file back into the registry if you ever need to restore your rules for any reason.

1. Open the "Run" dialog by pressing WindowsKey+R.
2. When the "Run" dialog opens, type the following command as an example to save the Outlook Express rules to a file named OE.reg.

regedit /E "D:\Backup\OE.reg" HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities

This is just an example and will not work unless you already have an existing folder named

Backup

on your (D) drive.  You should change the path/folder in the above example to a location that you know exists on your system.  Preferably somewhere you can easily find it.  You can also change the file name.

If you ever need to restore your Outlook Express rules, just select this file and press Enter.  Windows will ask if you are sure you want to continue.  You should select
"Yes"
If all works as expected, the registry editor will display a message indicating that the keys and values were successfully added to the registry.  The rules should now be restored.  Note, if you are restoring your rules on to a new system or into a fresh installation of Windows, make sure to restore this file before you run Outlook Express for the first time.  When ever Outlook Express is run for the first time, it creates a new identity with a unique ID string.  It uses that ID string as part of the folder path where it stores mailbox files and as part of the registry path where it stores settings for the new identity.  If you run Outlook Express before restoring the rules, the ID string for the new identity and the ID string for the old identity saved in the registry file will not match.  If you restore the rules first, then when you run Outlook Express it will create the new identity and associated path using the ID string which was saved in the .reg file.
Carlos

The person that provides the OE hack also has a tool called to restore OE after a Windows update which is explaned below.

Windows 10 update Restore tool
Restore OE after Windows 10 update
This tool will restore OE after Windows 10 Upgrade or Major Update

How to use:
Run oe_restore.exe and click "Restore OE" Button

Emails, Accounts and Address book will be restored.

Remember that you may need to switch identities after restore to load the needed identity
Filename: identity.png
Size: 25.51 KB
12-15-2017, 04:08 AM

DOWNLOAD

NOTE: This tool is in beta phase, this means that may not work for all users. For any problem, suggestion or question please reply this thread.
Rafael
Administrator

***

Here is another note from the OE people about what files to back up if you would like to go this route.

Information about using OE with Windows 10 or updating to Windows 10

Windows 10 users must know that automatic updates on Windows 10 removes Outlook Express.
 Every time a Windows 10 pc performs Automatic Updates, Outlook Express will be removed and need to be re-installed.
 More info about software being removed on Win 10 updates:
http://betanews.com/2015/11/24/windows-1...ermission/
 In order to prevent this happen, Automatic updates must be turned off on Windows 10.
 There is a free tool below that turns off Automatic Updates on Windows 10.

Download Update Disabler

Upgrading from Windows 7 or 8 to Windows 10:
 If you are in previous versions of Windows like Seven, 8 and 8.1 and you will update your PC to Windows 10 you have to reinstall Outlook Express after upgrade.

Exclamation Before you do the update to Windows 10 it is strongly suggested to make a backup to your OE Folders and OE Address book.
How to back up Outlook Express items:

Locate and backup the Store folder and Address book
 1. Start Outlook Express.
 2. Open tray icon "Settings" menu
 3. On Tray icon settings click "Browse Mail folder" Close Outlook express and copy that folder to a USB drive (Backup)
 4. On Tray icon settings click "Browse Address Book" Close Outlook express and copy the Address book (Wab) file(s) also (Backup)
 5. Open Outlook Express and go to "Tools>Accounts" and click on "Mail" Tab. Select your mail account and click "Export" Button to save account ".iaf" file.

 When Windows 10 upgrade finished, reinstall Outlook Express and replace the files from backup to same locations. Also you can import previously exported ".iaf" account settings file.

 For any other question please contact us at runasxp@...

***

I believe he's talking about an icon that is in the system tray for sighted users, or it might be there for blind users as well if selected to show in the system tray.  But, in any event what he's saying is to backup your DBX files & your Address Book somewhere else rather than your operating system drive.  Below are steps on how to get to your DBX files.

You will have to unhide files & folders in Tools / Options / View tab for the Local Settings folder to show if you have files & folders hidden.

Below is another way to get your .DBX / Outlook Express files;
1. Press ALT + T, for the tools menu, then O, for options.
2. Press Control + Shift + Tab, to jump right to the Maintenance page.
3. Tab to store folder, and spacebar that.
4. Now, tab twice,and Jaws will read the location of your Outlook Express
files.
5. Press the home key, to make sure you are at the beginning of the line, ,
then press Shift + the End key to select the entire line, and copy it to the
clipboard.
6. Press the Escape key twice to get out of the dialogue, and close Outlook
Express, with Alt + F4.
7. Now, open the run dialogue on the start menu, and paste from the clipboard, & press enter.
8. You should now be in the list of .dbx files.

Here is the file path to your address book, but this path has my user folder name:

"C:\Users\mike9\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Address Book"

Sent: Monday, January 22, 2018 9:16 AM
Subject: [TechTalk] Backing up and restoring registry settings

These questions actually pertain to the Outlook Express discussion.  I am running OE_6.1.5.1 on Windows 10 version 1709.  A previous instillation got wiped out by a windows upgrade, and I am attempting to preclude that from occurring again.

First of all, please tell me how to back up the registry.  Then after a windows upgrade, if it is necessary to do so, how do I restore the registry from the backup?

The last question is, how do I locate that lengthy path to the DBX folders?  Actually, I am more concerned about the rules and the folders than I am about messages because I save almost none.  The messages I choose to save are saved elsewhere as text messages.  I have fourteen rules, fourteen folders and four email addresses, so I want to avoid reinstallation at all costs.

Thanks for feedback.

Don Roberts