Re: New Android/Linux PDA

Jeremy <icu8it2@...>

Just from the tiny look at the vimeo page, I see that it mentions using LXDE on Debian. Have you actually done any research to figure out how well LXDE works with Orca? What procedures are you going to have to use to get mate installed on it instead, how well will Orca run with the hardware on the system and how about drivers? On the same page it says: "As you will see in the video, and as of 19 Oct 2017, a number of drivers have already been implemented, including the keyboard, screen driver, touch screen and Wi-Fi driver." I don't necessarily know if this means that you'd have issues with sound, but that's really something you should be trying to figure out before jumping into using Linux. Assuming driver support is more complete in the version of Android it runs, things might be more accessible there and worth taking a look at, but I'd probably not focus on trying to use Linux on it, unless you know for sure how to configure the stuff that might not work.

Here's a small list of some things you probably need to read up on and learn a bit more about before you dive into Linux.
Using SSH, do you know what it is, how to install the server on Debian and configure it.
Do you also know what clients you can use on Windows to connect to the server, just in case things break and you lose speech in either speakup or Orca.
Do you know about any potential issues in using one sound system over another on that particular hardware, how are you going to configure speakup to play nicely along side Orca, with it using Pulse, etc.
Can you even get speakup up and going on that particular system, or might you run into other types of problems wherein it doesn't play nice with the sound hardware, similar to the problems people had with using it on the RPies.
As far as I'm aware, LXDE still has some pretty crappy accessibility issues with Orca, so do you know what packages are required to install mate instead and what you might need to configure once they are installed?
There's probably other things I'm missing, but those are probably the most important ones.

On 1/24/2018 2:04 AM, Eleni Vamvakari wrote:
I found another review here. It sounded quite positive.

http://www.zdnet.com/product/gemini-pda/

I also found a video with more information that proved extremely
useful in explaining the Linux aspect of this dual-boot system.

https://vimeo.com/239095559

While the visuals won't help, I learned that the version of Linux that
they're using is Debian 9.0, with LXDE serving as the current desktop.
However, they said that changing distributions should be relatively
easy. So I could, theoretically, use something like Vinux or Ubuntu.
But how accessible are the default system and desktop environment? Is
it easy to turn on Orca? Can I try it in VMWare? For those who can
see, how does the dual boot on the Gemini work? If it is explained
verbally, I apologise in advance. The video is not working on the
machine that I am using to write this. On my windows machine, I
either let it boot into XP, or I wait for a beep, count for eight
seconds or so, and then hit down arrow to boot into 7. Finally, has
anyone here ever owned a Psion 5? I am not intending on buying one,
but they say that the form factor and keyboard of this new device is
extremely similar, and I would like to hear experiences relating to
them.

Thanks,
Eleni

On 23/01/2018, Eleni Vamvakari <elvam2167@gmail.com> wrote:
I found some more information on this device.

https://www.androidcentral.com/gemini-pda

It seems that, in size, at least, this is similar to the UH900, since
there is extra room around the screen. I just hope that the battery
life is better. I have never understood the need for dual cameras,
except when scanning documents or doing some kind of work that
involves visuals. This already has a built-in one that should suffice
for things like using Skype, so I'm not sure why the reviewer is
complaining. At any rate, I learned that the price is a reasonable
$399, instead of the almost $600 that I read at another site. Still,
it's not cheap enough that I can buy it and not care if it doesn't
work for me. Therefore, I must ask, will either Android or Linux (I
don't know which kind is installed) suit my life style and user
patterns? As always, there is also the issue of accessibility, but I
fail to see why this wouldn't work with Talkback or Orca. Given the
specifications of this machine, can it work with virtual machines? If
so, is there a program for Android or Linux similar to VMWare Player
that is accessible?

Thanks,
Eleni

On 23/01/2018, Eleni Vamvakari <elvam2167@gmail.com> wrote:
As many of you know, I hve been seeking a good UMPC for quite some
time. Today, I found something amazing! This is a modern device
which seems to have everything that I want in it and more, beginning
with a full qwerty keyboard! Plus, not only can it run Android, but
Linux as well! My only concern is the size and the price. It seems
tb e as small as my TMobile Dash, which is tiny, even for me, though
it is usable. But perhaps, I'm wrong, and it's more like my Lifebook
UH900, in which case, it would be perfect! I must investigate this
further!

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gemini-pda-android-linux-keyboard-mobile-device-phone#/

For a time, I was considering the GPD Pocket, but two things stopped
me from doing so. The first is that it probably couldn't be
downgraded to Windows 7 or XP. The second is that, after reading the
reviews, it seems that the company which makes it doesn't offer good
customer service, and several customers had serious complaints about
their units, including one almost catching on fire!

Does anyone know of other such devices that might interest me?

Thanks,
Eleni

--
Facebook: elvam2167@gmail.com