From: Gene
Sent: Friday, January 26, 2018 4:21 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] When did 'ribbons' start to appear

You are generalizing from a very small part of a whole to a whole.  You say that Windows shouldn't have to be relearned when discussing ribbons.
Ribbons isn't Windows.  It is a very small part of Windows.  Sighted people don't have to relearn Windows.  And ribbons are visually intuitive, just as Windows is generally.  it doesn't take much learning or time for sighted people to learn ribbons.

As computers are used for increasingly different purposes, interfaces will change but so far, Windows is Windows.  Newer versions of Windows can be taught to blind people who know XP in such a way that that can be demonstrated and understood.  I strongly believe that it is lack of understanding of this fundamental underlying concept because of poor instruction or people who don't realize this as they try to learn on their own, that causes a lot of transition problems.

Gene

-----

Sent: Friday, January 26, 2018 2:06 PM

I agree with Pam in general.  People care more about form over
function.  It used to be that computers were mostly no-nonsense tools
that were used to help people.  Yes, they had a few games and fun
programs, but mostly, they were used for getting things done.  Now,
they're fully-fledged entertainment systems.  Returning to ribbons,
though, while it makes sense that an entirely new operating system
will have different commands, something as familiar as Windows
shouldn't have to be relearned, either by the blind or the sighted.
If nothing else, there should be an option to use the new or the old
interface.  That way, everyone would benefit.  Instead, people were
forced to accept this change.  Yes, some switched to Linux and other
systems, but some have to continue using Windows for work purposes.

--
Facebook: elvam2167@...

anyaudio.net: elvam2167

Skype: elvam2167