Re: serch engines question

Keith S

when I would access the accessibility page, WE only announched 7 links.  when I pull up google.com there are 71.  yes, I can use the H key to jump through headers to the meat of the results, but the first couple are advertisements.  just a lot of clutter and it's not as stream lined as the accessibility site that is now defunct.  In my humuble opinion.

Keith

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, October 31, 2015 6:09 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] serch engines question

The accessibility project had nothing to do with making Google more accessible.  It's purpose was to present results with the more accessible sites first in the results and the less accessible sites later.  This was a bad idea at the time and it still is.  Most sites are useable, even if some are not properly accessible.  If blind people are to get different performance from something, that requires a really strong case to be made. 

It was never made, in my strong opinion, for this experimental page.  Sighted people see results in terms of the popularity of the page.  Blind people should have the same information in the same order. 

Gene
Sent: Saturday, October 31, 2015 5:00 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] serch engines question

Hi Keith,

You don’t say which screen reader you are using. I use JAWS. With JAWS, I only have to hit h twice on the google results page to get to the search results. I have pasted below my name the first three results that came up for me when I searched for the word braille. These results do have some description after them. I always get suchdescriptions. Are you saying that your results in the accessibility lab had more information after the link?

TerriLynne

Braille - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braille

o    Cached

Wikipedia

Braille /ˈbreɪl/ is a tactile writing system used by people who are blind and low vision. It is traditionally written with embossed paper. Braille-users can read ...

Languages‎: ‎Several

Sister systems‎: ‎New York Point

Parent systems‎: ‎Night writing: Early brai...

Creator‎: ‎Louis Braille

Braille: Deciphering the Code

braillebug.afb.org/braille_decipherin...

o    Similar

American Foundation for the Blind

People often think that braille is a language. Actually there is a braille code for every foreign language you can imagine including French, Spanish, Chinese, ...

What Is Braille? - American Foundation for the Blind

www.afb.org › .... › Braille

American Foundation for the Blind

Braille is a system of raised dots that can be read with the fingers by people who are blind or who have low vision. Teachers, parents, and others who are not ...

Sent: Saturday, October 31, 2015 11:34 AM
To: TechTalk@groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] serch engines question

Hello, since losing my sight, I have used the google accessible website to do web searches:

But now, after entering a search string, and hitting enter, I get a error page.

When I have used the to check if the web site is down, (can't remember what the URL for that one is, it says that the sight is up and running fine, but indicates that it is the www.google.com site, not the accessible one.

Does anyone else use a search engine that is not as cluttered as yahoo or google, like the accessible google search site as posted above?  I also liked the fact that the accessible site gave a detracted synopsis of what the page contained instead of just the webpage name and the URL underneath like the google.com homepage.

Thanks for any help.

Keith

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.