Re: Cleaning the cd-rom drive in my laptop

Gene

If everything else is functioning, then there is nothing to worry about.  I don't know how much this person charges.  If he charges fifty dollars for a consultation and to clean the DVD rom then, if you don't know how to clean it and don't know where you can learn, then buy a USB drive. 

If you are going to spend more money because he is assessing the entire computer, then, based on what you say, you are just wasting money.  In other words, if it would cost less just to have him assess the cdrom drive, and more to assess a computer that is working properly, then you are spending money to assess a properly working computer.  Just pay for an assessment and work on the drive.

Also, you didn't answer my question yesterday.  When you put a cd or dvd in the drive, does the motor spin when you close the drive?  You only tested with one disk.  I suggested testing with a cd to see if it plays.  We don't know if there is a problem with the specific disk you are working with or if there is a general problem.  I wouldn't be surprised if there is a general problem but we don't have enough information from what you said to be sure or reasonably sure.

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, February 04, 2018 7:46 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Cleaning the cd-rom drive in my laptop

Hello Michael,

Thanks for the reply, I plan on getting with the guy who works on my computer this week and discussing the situation with him to see what he thinks.  As I mentioned before other than the cd drive not working everything else seems to be functioning so maybe that bodes well for me being able to save this laptop and bnot have to pay the price for a new one.

Troy
> On Feb 4, 2018, at 7:41 PM, Michael Boyd <mike122061@...> wrote:
>
>
> Most any problem with any electronic device due to a liquid spill is going to show up immediately. You would already know it if any fatal damage was done. If you can remove the CD ROM drive and it is not enclosed, many are not, then a little alcohol, a rag and some cotton swabs will typically do the trick for you. This will probably help with the keyboard as well. If you cannot get the keys to come off of the keyboard, there is a tool available to do this which cost around $5. Spenting $10 - 15 on these items which you probably already have is much better than the cost of investing in a new computer. You can pick up a new CD/DVD ROM drive for anywhere between $20 to as muhch as you wish to spend. Some of these carry the name brands of the most popular electronics manufacturers.
>
> Michael
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Troy Burnham
> Sent: Sunday, February 04, 2018 9:57 AM
> To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
> Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Cleaning the cd-rom drive in my laptop
>
> Thanks for the reply Anne, the brand of tea I drink  isn't what makes it sweet but I sweeten it myself so there was sugar in what got spilled.
>
> This computer is 4 or 5 years old so I've just decided to invest in a new one rather than trying to fix this one.  As was mentioned liquid is bad for a computer, and I'm afraid that even if I changed out the cd drive on this computer that I may run into more problems in the future that haven't shown up yet.
>
> Troy
>> On Feb 4, 2018, at 6:07 AM, Ann Parsons <akp@...> wrote:
>>
>> Troy,
>>
>> Was that what southerners call Swite Tye.  If it was I think the sugar has probably mangled your laptop.  Beverages and laptops do not mix well.
>>
>> <smiling regretfully>
>> Ann P.
>>
>> --
>> Ann K. Parsons
>> Portal Tutoring
>> EMAIL:  akp@...
>> Author of The Demmies: http://www.dldbooks.com/annparsons/
>> Portal Tutoring web site:  http://www.portaltutoring.info
>> Skype: Putertutor
>>
>> "All that is gold does not glitter,
>> Not all those who wander are lost."
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.