Re: OCR Scanner

Gerald Levy

No, the Pearl camera is a proprietary device that will only work with Open Book or JAWS 2018 and no other text-to-speech program.

Gerald

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, February 05, 2018 10:33 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] OCR Scanner

Does the pearl have to be used with open book Or is it a stand alone reeder??

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jeffrey Schwartz
Sent: Monday, February 5, 2018 8:09 AM

With a scanner, jaws will only read one page of a book at a time. If you use the Pearl, you can read page after page and I’m told it is fast.

Jeff

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Monday, February 5, 2018 8:05 AM

I don't know if the JAWS feature scans and appends pages indefinitely as in scanning a book. If it does, you may want to use that feature. If not, then depending on what you can do with the feature, you may not.

Gene

----- Original Message -----

From: Jeffrey Schwartz <mailto:jeffreyschwartz0238@comcast.net>

Sent: Monday, February 05, 2018 6:27 AM

I agree with Gene. If they have open book which is not cheap or the latest version of jaws doing ocr on a flatbed scanner should be pretty easy. In jaws one only need press insert plus space bar, then o for ocr and a for acquire. That’s all it takes.

Jeff

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Sunday, February 4, 2018 10:20 PM

The pearl is a camera and as I recall, it used to be the name of the stand alone machine from VFO as well. Perhaps it has changed. As I said, do a google search for something like stand alone reading machine or perhaps stand alone reading machine for the blind.

I don't know where the people are going to be using the machine but just scanning and reading is no more involved on a computer with a program like Openbook than it is using a stand alone reading machine.

I just did a search for stand alone reading machine blind and found some relevant results and some very old ones. I also did a search for stand alone reading machine VFO and it appears the one from VFO is now called the IPal, though I didn't look at the result enough to be sure. I just read the excerpt for the result on the google results page.

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Sunday, February 04, 2018 8:50 PM

The agency has the Pearl already. The Pearl only works with OpenBook or JAWS 2018. Some of the residents find usingn OpenBook to be too complicated. We are looking for a OCR scanner where someone can place a paper on top, close the lid and press a button and have it read.

Allen
2/4/18, Allen West <alwest0324@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi All,

I work at a place that has a fair amount of blind residents that
cannot use smart phones or OpenBook. We are looking for a stand along
OCR scanner. Are they still made? If so, can someone tell me who sells
them?

Thanks in Advance

Allen

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.