Re: old computers

Pamela Dominguez

I love wordperfekt 5.1! There is nothing like it! I have never mastered Word the way I did that program! I also had bought some dos computer games I used to play. Pam.

-----Original Message-----
From: Carolyn Arnold
Sent: Sunday, February 11, 2018 3:24 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] old computers

Jim literally loved the Tandy. He is a musician, and did he ever have a good time with that thing, which was BC - before Carolyn, that is.

I had three 386's on jobs with WordPerfect 5.1. Weren't they fine.

I taught myself WordPerfect with a book called Mastering WordPerfect, using my Optacon. I never really learned DOS, which is where my husband has it on me. I try to get him to explain basics to me, and he says I get it, there are certain tasks to be performed, like copy, paste, cut, save, set font, just have to learn to do those things on whatever program is being used. Yet, he knows stuff like our computer guys, can fix problems; I can't. I can just run one if it works. If it doesn't, I haven't the slightest idea. I think with DOS I was intimidated, stayed in WordPerfect whenever I could. On one job we had to get out of wordPerfect and onto a program called Letterman to upload our work to the client. I don't even want to go there; thank goodness, that job did not last long for me.

With WordPerfect 5.1, I really liked the macros, have no idea in the world how to do them with Office 2013, but I don't transcribe now like I used to do.

I took an afternoon on my job and set up logging macros with my accounts; there were three or four of them, each with slight differences. With the programs I made, when dictation started, I could enter the identifying information in the log, then go right on to chief complaint, preoperative diagnosis or whatever the beginning of the report would be. The name, age, date, etc would all be in. I worked on production, so the afternoon I invested paid off.

On this one, the envelopes never seemed to work right, so I have made programs for small ones and regular business-sized ones. Incidentally, I needed to Shift Enter for each line - otherwise, paragraph format, they're double spaced. I don't like that, but figured how to work around it, had to do the same thing with my check program.

Carolyn