Re: simple dumb phone

Janet

Jeff,

You need to get a grip on your bad hair day, and stop taking your anger out on the members.  Your being very insulting to the members on this list by saying you have received invaluable help.  I’ve seen many and many of them here go all out of their way just to help you.  They put a great deal of time and effort in helping you, and I’ve seen this over and over.  By right, you should apologize to them for what you are now saying.  I don’t believe they deserve this insult just because you are in a bad mood!  You think you get invaluable help here, but you wouldn’t know half as much as you know now if it wasn’t for the members here, or unless you know more about computers than you are willing to admit. 

Janet

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jeffrey Schwartz
Sent: Sunday, February 11, 2018 3:53 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] simple dumb phone

Janet, simply having a bad hair day.  I receive some invaluable assistance on this list.  Thanks for your interest and advice.

Jeff

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of janet gross
Sent: Sunday, February 11, 2018 4:32 PM

Jeff,

I’m not sure what you meant when you said: you wonder if this list was for you? I thought this list was for all of us who have tech questions or who has tech information in which would help someone else, or did you mean to say you wonder if this list was the right list for you? You say this list goes on forever in which is over your head, Jeff, this is a good way to learn by listening to what others have to share  regarding your tech question, but if you don’t want to listen, you will never learn!  Maybe these people who say it is simple and wonderful are trying to encourage you to learn.  You ask for help, but yet, you criticize how you receive it!  You like those who agree with you, but not the others who try to encourage you!  Wow, talk about being greatful!  It sounds like if you don’t get exactly what you asked for, well, you don’t like it!

Janet

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jeffrey Schwartz
Sent: Sunday, February 11, 2018 9:30 AM

Thanks Gerald,

I was wondering if this list is for me.  You are becoming a friend  on the lists to which we belong.  This list goes on forever with topics which are over my head, but a good source of info on learning these damned ribbons.  If I ask someone will help me and ten others will say how simple and wonderful the ribbons are.

Jeff

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gerald Levy
Sent: Sunday, February 11, 2018 10:08 AM

Jeff, don’t take it personally.  I have discovered that a lot of tech-savvy blind people look down on the rest of us who may have no interest in using the latest and greatest whiz-bang gadgets.  They have a cavalier and condescending attitude that if you don’t own a smart phone or a Google Home or an Amazon Echo, you are somehow less of a human being.  I don’t let it bother me.  Go ahead and laugh, but my cell phone is a ten-year old refurbished LG 4650 that I picked up from an online seller for only $15.  It still works,and I keep it just for emergencies.  I’m not interested in texting or using it as an alarm clock or GPS device.  And I only pay $40 a year ($10 every four months) to keep it activated with Page Plus Cellular.  And I don’t own a Victor Reader Trek or Stream because I don’t need one,since I am perfectly satisfied with my NLS DTB player, which serves my needs.

Gerald

Sent: Sunday, February 11, 2018 9:35 AM

Subject: [TechTalk] simple dumb phone

I am seventy and spent sixty years gradually losing my vision  to RP.  I have been totally blind for ten years.  My wife is virtually an invalid.  We have no need for a smart phone as we are seldom out.  When we go to medical appointments we use an agency to give my wife a shower and take her and or me to the doctors office.  We bought the jitterbug quite a few years ago.  At that time she went by cab and used the phone to call one when we were ready to go home.  It has no features other than calling out and receiving calls.  There was one option at the time which we chose not to get, a section for receiving messages.  We had no need for it.  This phone just fine.  I grew tired of hearing from others who had more complex needs.  With the exception of Nancy, who only wanted a phone to make and receive calls, I was deluged by people who couldn’t possibly use it and went on to describe their smart phones.  I offered this phone for others on the list who might have needs or preferences  like my own.    My post started a deluge of contrary preferences.  After a time I lost interest in the varieties  of smart phones. These posts were not critical, but after a time made me feel like an outlier.

Jeff  

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.