Re: white cane stores

Greg Daniel <gdaniel@...>

I have boiled a cup of water in the microwave, dropped the nylon tip in the water for a few minutes, fitted the tip over the end of the cane, and then firmly tapped the cane on a concrete surface a few times.  Works like a charm!

Greg

At 06:15 AM 2/12/2018, you wrote:
This is a very strong nylon tip.  I'm not sure it can be compressed or that if it can, it may take much more force than we are talking about.  Have you had the tip compressed when it is a nylon tip of this type that fits tightly over the cane body?

From: James Bentley
Sent: Monday, February 12, 2018 5:02 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] white cane stores

It has never worked that way for me.  A vice, pliers, or vice grips compress the tip and it just makes it harder to remove  or, the strong force damages the cane.

Another list member mentioned a second method.  That is to run the tip under hot water which causes it to expand while the cane does not.

If one uses an open wrench to tap the tip off, they are not applying pressure.  They are tapping or knocking the tip until it loosens up enough to pull off.  Constant tapping over a long period of time is what causes such a tight fit in the first place.  Tapping is also what can loosen it up especially if you heat the tip first.  I have taken many a tip off this way in the past.

Now, I use an AmbuTech cane with a hook style roller tip.  (I’m not certain that I am spelling AmbuTech right).  But, they are very strong folding graphite canes for around $35.00.  LS&S Products has them.

Regards as always,

James B