Re: white cane stores

Greg Daniel <gdaniel@...>

I have boiled a cup of water in the microwave, dropped the nylon tip in the water for a few minutes, fitted the tip over the end of the cane, and then firmly tapped the cane on a concrete surface a few times.  Works like a charm!

Greg

At 06:15 AM 2/12/2018, you wrote:
This is a very strong nylon tip.  I'm not sure it can be compressed or that if it can, it may take much more force than we are talking about.  Have you had the tip compressed when it is a nylon tip of this type that fits tightly over the cane body?

Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, February 12, 2018 5:02 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] white cane stores

It has never worked that way for me.  A vice, pliers, or vice grips compress the tip and it just makes it harder to remove  or, the strong force damages the cane.

Another list member mentioned a second method.  That is to run the tip under hot water which causes it to expand while the cane does not.

If one uses an open wrench to tap the tip off, they are not applying pressure.  They are tapping or knocking the tip until it loosens up enough to pull off.  Constant tapping over a long period of time is what causes such a tight fit in the first place.  Tapping is also what can loosen it up especially if you heat the tip first.  I have taken many a tip off this way in the past. 

Now, I use an AmbuTech cane with a hook style roller tip.  (I’m not certain that I am spelling AmbuTech right).  But, they are very strong folding graphite canes for around $35.00.  LS&S Products has them.

Regards as always,

James B

Sent: Monday, February 12, 2018 4:39 AM

You can try tapping the tip but I doubt that will help.  The tip is constantly being hit against the ground when used.  The wrench and applying pressure may work but a hardware store, where they probably have a powerful vice they can use, I think would provide much more leverage and force when the cane is grabbed with the tip in the vice and it is pulled with strong force.

Gene
Sent: Sunday, February 11, 2018 11:15 PM

Find an open end wrench that is just big enough to fit around the bottom of the cane but, is small enough to catch the lip on the tip  .  Use it like a slide hammer to tap the lip of the cane tip until it breaks loose and slides off.  This method may scratch up the bottom of the cane a bit but it is probably already scratched up from curbs and steps etc.

HTH,

James B

Sent: Sunday, February 11, 2018 10:59 PM

The tip gets stuck on as the cane is used  I haven't replaced to tip often enough to tell you much.  I tried with a pair of pliers but I don't remember if I was successful.  Perhaps a hardware store can help you get it off, using their equipment.

Gene
Sent: Sunday, February 11, 2018 9:05 PM

Thanks, Gene. That's the one I have now. I can't figure out how to replace the tip.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [ mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Sunday, February 11, 2018 9:03 PM

I forgot to paste the description.

White Cane: Folding Revolution, Graphite
MARCH 24, 2015 | FOLDING REVOLUTION, GRAPHITE
Revolution’s Graphite cane is a five section lightweight folding cane with golf grip, wrist loop and replaceable tip.

Gene

Sent: Sunday, February 11, 2018 8:57 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io < mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>

What is the company?

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io < mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>  [ mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Sunday, February 11, 2018 8:47 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io < mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>

I looked at the web site for the place where I purchased it a few years ago.  This is the cane.  If the design hasn't changed, it's very good.  Do an Internet search for where to order it.  This place has a store for blind people who live in the area but I don't know if they deliver.  this cane should be available from various places.

Don't get the aluminum cane by the same company.  The joints fail after many months with no warning and, because of the way the cane is made, if a joint fails, the cane is useless.  You can't force pieces into each other.
Gene

Sent: Sunday, February 11, 2018 7:24 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io < mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>  < mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>

I would be interested. I need to replace a folding cane.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io < mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>  < mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>  [ mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Sunday, February 11, 2018 7:24 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io < mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>  < mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>

You can buy strong, sturdy folding canes.  I have a carbon fiber folding cane that has lasted me for a number of years and is still in good condition.  I fold my cane when it is adviseable, such as in a crowded area or when putting it somewhere such as under a table in a restaurant where the table isn't long enough to accommodate the straight cane.  But since I only fold it when desirable, the elastic doesn't have much wear put on it.  I don't know the brand but I can check if anyone's interested.

Gene

Sent: Sunday, February 11, 2018 7:18 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io < mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>  < mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>  < mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>

I have the exact same cane philosophy, but for many, an ordinary straight, non-folding  cane is more secure, especially those traveling a lot crossing busy city streets. I haven't had to do that for a long time, but wonder if I could hear well enough to do that safely now.

Carolyn

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io < mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>  < mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>  < mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>  [ mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Eleni Vamvakari
Sent: Sunday, February 11, 2018 4:31 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io < mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>  < mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>  < mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>

This may sound strange coming from me, as I love old things, but I have never understood the use of rigid canes today.  I've used both folding and telescopic cames and they all shrink so that I can easily place them conveniently next to me or behind me while I'm sitting, or even attach them to my Go Belt when I have no need of them.  .  This is impossible to do with a rigid cane.  Could it perhaps be that they are more durable?  Likewise, I could never see myself using anything but a roller tip.  The tapping method has always seemed dangerous to me, as you could miss things on the ground when your cane is briefly in the air.

On 11/02/2018, Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@... <mailto:4carolyna@...>  < mailto:4carolyna@...>  < mailto:4carolyna@...> > wrote:
> I keep several folding canes in an alcove shared with a chime clock.
> It is just inside the front door, so on the way out any time, there is
> a cane at the ready.
>
> Carolyn
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: main@TechTalk.groups.io < mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>  < mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>  < mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>  [ mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On
> Behalf Of Gary Ketler
> Sent: Saturday, February 10, 2018 9:01 PM
> To: main@TechTalk.groups.io < mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>  < mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>  < mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>
> Subject: Re: [TechTalk] white cane stores
>
> I use a straight cane when I am walking a long way. If I'm going from
> the car to the door or walking a short distance I use a folding cane.
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: main@TechTalk.groups.io < mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>  < mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>  < mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>  [ mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On
> Behalf Of Pamela Dominguez
> Sent: Saturday, February 10, 2018 7:58 PM
> To: main@TechTalk.groups.io < mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>  < mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>  < mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>
>
> All my carbon fiber canes were the telescopic kind.  I would never buy
> a straight one you couldn’t do anything with.  I always called those
> things fishing poles.  Now, I have a folding thing that seems to be a
> combination of some kind of carbon fiber with metal joints.  It has a rolling ball tip.
> I didn’t get that one from NFB, though.  I got it from Visions in New
> York City.  I only tell you this so that I don’t sound snooty, not
> telling you where it came from.  But I don’t know if they do mail order.  Pam.
>
> From: Jeffrey Schwartz < mailto:jeffreyschwartz0238@...>
> Sent: Saturday, February 10, 2018 1:23 PM
> To: main@TechTalk.groups.io < mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>  < mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>  < mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>  < mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>
>
>
> I had a telescoping fiberglass  cane which seemed like a luxury.  It
> was light and with the telescoping closure, It fit nicely in my back pocket
> One day I went to close it by tapping it on  the ground.  It fell apart.
>
> Jeff
>
>
>
> Behalf Of Gene
> Sent: Saturday, February 10, 2018 1:14 PM
>
>
>
> I don't know either.  Fiberglass or carbon fiber canes, if properly
> made, are lighter and stronger.  If pressure is put on them they bend
> without their shape being permanently distorted, they immediately
> return to there original shape.  Of course, you could put so much
> pressure on the cane that it would break but that would be a lot of
> pressure, far more than should occur in normal use.
>
>
>
> Gene
>
> ----- Original Message -----
>
> From: Pamela Dominguez <mailto:geodom@... >
>
> Sent: Saturday, February 10, 2018 11:55 AM
>
> To: main@TechTalk.groups.io < mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>  < mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>  < mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>  < mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>
>
>
>
>
> Yes.  But he seemed to specify aluminum canes.  They are not aluminum.
> I don’t know why he specifically wants aluminum, but there could be a
> lot of reasons.  Pam.
>
>
>
> From: Ashley Breger via Groups.Io
> < mailto:ashbreger@...>
>
> Sent: Saturday, February 10, 2018 12:53 PM
>
>
>
>
>
> Hi Keith,
> I know NFP has a free Kane program that you can probably get into if
> you log onto NFB.org <http://NFB.org>
>
>
>
>
> On Feb 10, 2018, at 11:09 AM, Keith S <ks.steinbach03@... <mailto:ks.steinbach03@...>  < mailto:ks.steinbach03@...>  < mailto:ks.steinbach03@...>
> < mailto:ks.steinbach03@...> > wrote:
>
> Looking to purchase a new aluminum white cane.  Any good stores to
> purchase from with good pricing?
>
>
>
> Thanks
>
>
>
> keith
>
>
>
> < http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&u
> tm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient>
>
>
> Virus-free. www.avg.com <http://www.avg.com >  <http://www.avg.com>  <http://www.avg.com >
> < http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&u
> tm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

--
Facebook: elvam2167@... < mailto:elvam2167@...>  <mailto:elvam2167@... >  < mailto:elvam2167@...>

anyaudio.net: elvam2167

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.