Re: Think I figured it out, was ending messages with free version of OE classic

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

You should use all this as your signature!  LOL

From: Gene
Sent: Monday, February 19, 2018 4:18 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Think I figured it out, was ending messages with free version of OE classic

Well, being right 99.999 percent of the time is a record that will never be equaled.  Even better than Mycroft Holmes.  And being superbly handsome, witty, cultured humble and with a great empathy for those less gifted, what more could you ask for in natural endowments and aquired disposition?

Sent: Monday, February 19, 2018 12:38 AM

Hi Troy,

I'm glad you solved the issue. I figured it was some sort of  bad configuration (2 conflicting addresses or something like an incorrectly formatted address.)  So see Gene, you're not always right after all <guffaw>!

On 2/18/2018 8:04 PM, Troy Burnham wrote:
This doesn't make sense, but I just typed the entire e-mail address into a message and was able to forward the message that I've been trying to send all day.

As I mentioned in a previous message I was typing the first 2 or 3 letters of the person's name and then I heard the full name and address, but that's when I was getting the error.  After trying several times today I did noticed that there were actually 2 addresses showing with the way I was doing it before, and it doesn't make sense to me why it gave me an error instead of just asking which address I wanted to send to, but it appears that the mystery is solved.  I'm going to do more testing to make sure the problem is indeed solved but I just wanted to let the list know that I thiink I found the solution to my problem.

Troy

On Feb 18, 2018, at 4:30 PM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

You said you could send messages the other day.  It may be time to uninstall and reinstall the program.  Or you may want to try system Restore.

Sent: Sunday, February 18, 2018 2:14 PM

Okay I just went into the options as Kay suggested but I didn't find anything about autocomplete.

I just tried to forward something to a friend of mine who is in my address book, and once I typed I think the first 3 letters of her first name into the to field of the message I heard her entire name and address spoken from my address book, so at that point I hit alt-s to send the message and just heard the words error and okay button.  Btw the same thing happened if I opened the file menu and tried to send the message that way.  It just says error though, no error number or anything telling me what the error is.

Troy

On Feb 18, 2018, at 10:47 AM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

It isn't clear to me when you can't send messages.  Have you tried typing out a full address in a message and sending it?  Perhaps the program won't send a message with a malformed address.  Windows Live Mail doesn't tell you the address is malformed.  It tells you there is no match in contacts, which is a ridiculous response.  it should tell you the address is malformed.  Perhaps OE Classic is just not sending the message with no feedback or with no feedback that is automatically read by screen-readers.  I think that is what Ron was getting at.

When you can't send a message, are you trying to use autocomplete?  Is the address line accessible?  If you use autocomplete, if you read the current line, do you hear the name or the name and address of the person?

Sent: Sunday, February 18, 2018 9:10 AM

It was working for the first day or 2 after I installed it.  I only really wrote to one person though, and her address wasn't in my address book so I had to type the entire address.

As I said in a previous message I've been using OE 6 with windows 7 every since that became available, and I believe I used windows live mail for a while and I don't think I liked it at the time but I don't remember why now.  If I can't get my problems with OE classic solved I might try it again, either that or Thunderbird as I have several friends who use that and I don't think they have any problems.  The only reason I said I might pay for OE classic is that I know tech support is offered for the paid version, but that would be a last resort.

Troy

On Feb 18, 2018, at 12:44 AM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

As I recall, Troy said it was sending messages yesterday.  If Troy didn't change any settings, then I'm not sure how likely this would be.  But in case something got corrupted in the program, I would suggest uninstalling it and reinstalling it.  If that doesn't help, perhaps a system restore would solve it.  Or if that isn't feasible for some reason, have you tried either version of Windows Live Mail?  Unless you want to use identities, I don't see why that program wouldn't meet your needs well.

Sent: Sunday, February 18, 2018 12:39 AM

Hi Troy,

Are you absolutely certain that the e-mail address you are trying to send to is correct.  In many cases, if it is not 822RFC compliant--which I guess means an alias followed by an at sign followed by a domain, the program send feature is grayed out.

For example, if I enter an address such as ron.cgamil.com, that has no at sign and if I try sending the message, it won't send.  If I review my address and stick the at sign between the ron.c and gmail as in ron.c@..., then the message will be sent.  Check this out and see what is going on.

On 2/17/2018 10:56 PM, Troy Burnham wrote:
I just tried rebooting and the same thing is still happening.

I think the web site said that there's been some problems with the version I'm using so I'm seriously considering upgrading to the pro version.

Troy

On Feb 17, 2018, at 8:57 PM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

I don't know why.  Does anything happen that you are aware of?  Have you unloaded and run your screen-reader again?  If that hasn't helped, have you rebooted?

Sent: Saturday, February 17, 2018 8:29 PM

It doesn't work either way.

Troy

On Feb 17, 2018, at 8:11 PM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

Did you try sending the message by pressing enter on the send item in the menu?  You haven't determined whether the short cut command isn't working or whether the program isn't sending messages, for some reason.  Always check something with the actual direct way to do it if a short cut command stops working and if a direct command is available.  You have to determine if the problem is the short cut or something else.

Sent: Saturday, February 17, 2018 7:46 PM

Hi all,

I'M using version 2.7 of the free version of OE classic and in the menues it says alt-s sends a message.  I got it to work yesterday but today the command isn't working.

Troy

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"