Re: An OE 6 for windows 7 question

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Troy,

It won't do any good to call Microsoft Accessibility because Outlook Express isn't supported any more, so they can't / won't help you.  But, on the other hand read the note below written by Carlos about the issue you're having.

From: Carlos
I'm guessing you used the installer for the last free version.  Sorry there's one minor point I always forget about that installer.  Basically, during the installation, the Protected Storage component has to be updated.  The Protected Storage component is responsible for remembering account passwords.  Unfortunately, in the installer for the last free version the checkbox which insures the Protected Storage component gets updated is unchecked by default for some reason.  Just reinstall it and make sure the Protected Storage checkbox is checked.  Don't forget to run the installer as administrator and reboot after the installation is complete.  After you reboot and run Outlook Express, it will ask for your account passwords one final time, but after that it should remember them for subsequent sessions.
Carlos

Sent: Thursday, February 22, 2018 1:33 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] An OE 6 for windows 7 question

Hello all,

I’ve just been on the phone with Spectrum trying to set up my road runner address in the free version of OE 6 for windows 7, and I was putting all of the settings in correctly but when I’d try to check mail I was getting an error saying that my password was rejected.

The agent I was speaking to said that since all of the settings are correct that I shouldn’t be having this problem and she suggested calling Microsoft to see if they can do some trouble shooting, but before calling Microsoft accessibility I wanted to ask here and see if there’s any settings in OE that might be causing the password to be rejected.  I have recently tried reinstalling OE, both by reinstalling over the top of what I already had installed and doing a fresh install, and I remember at least one checkbox that I wasn’t sure if it should be checked or unchecked although I don’t remember what that was now.

Thanks for any suggestions.  Btw I know my password is correct because I have the account plugged into OE classic and it’s working, I just prefer OE 6 if I can get that working again.

Troy

Sent from my iPhone