Re: Another OE 6 question

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Identities is 1 of the biggest reasons for our household to run OE6, but the fact that we're use to OE & don't want to change is another.  Having choices is very nice, & OE6 is our choice!  LOL

From: Gene
Sent: Friday, February 23, 2018 5:34 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Another OE 6 question

Most people won't know about these problems.  I am not aware of a crashing problem.  I'm not saying there may not be one, but I don't recall seeing anything about it.

I am aware of DBX files becoming corrupted.  Most people who use Outlook Express probably don't know what DBX files are, let alone that they are more likely to become corrupted in the Windows 7 and higher version of the program and particularly, when you compact folders.  They probably don't save mail they want outside of the program or as an alternative, back up the DBX files regularly.  for most users, fooling around with this program isn't a good idea, in my opinion.  You should know something about the program and how to prepare for problems and you should also know that, while some, perhaps many, users have no or little problems, some people spend considerable time trying to solve problems they can't solve.

Why do people on the list use the program?  I'm curious to know.  It does allow for first letter navigation among folders and if you use a lot of folders, that is an advantage.  Now, Thunderbird has an extension that allows first letter navigation.  Outlook Express may be faster opening messages compared to Thunderbird, but on a modern fast machine, I don't know if the speed difference matters.  Those who have compared may wish to comment.  Then there are identities.  Some people may consider identities important.  for the majority of people who don't use them and probably don't know what they are, this advantage is meaningless.  So, why do people use the program?