Re: Microsoft Wireless Keyboard 2000, Help

Richard <thegothot@...>

Hi Mike,
It is probably possible to re-map that key with the Microsoft software,
but it isn't totally accessible with Jaws.
I suppose it would be possible to do the same with a third--party software, but it would have to recognize
wireless keyboards, which apparently SharpKeys does not.

Rick

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, February 23, 2018 1:16 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Microsoft Wireless Keyboard 2000, Help

Hi Dane,

Yes, I had my wife look at it this morning, & it is indeed the FN key.  I wonder if this key is remapped to be the Windows / Start key if it will affect the FN key on the computer as well?  Seems to me I remapped another keyboard & it affected any other keyboard hooked to that particular computer.  Meaning, the setting is changed across the board for any keyboard when remapping keys is done.
Take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.
Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement.  In the end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.
Sent: Friday, February 23, 2018 5:44 AM

Hi Gene and MS Wireless Keyboard 2000 users,

I just double checked with sighted assistant. The key that is two over to the right from the spacebar for me is a "FN" key. I apologize for reporting earlier that this was a Windows key. I thought that I had established this some time ago, and obviously had forgotten or was mistaken. I did not try and use it in conjunction with the F keys, so unsure if it will perform it's advertised functions or not. Is it possible to go into the keyboard manager and assign the Windows function to this key?

Dane

Sent: Friday, February 23, 2018 2:48 AM

First, is it a start key?  Since it doesn't perform the start key function, this is only an unsupported assumption, unless someone has verified that that is its intended purpose.  Has anyone had a sighted person look at the key to see what symbol is on it?  Does it match the symbol on the left start key?  Has anyone verified the intended function of the key in another way? 

Gene
Sent: Thursday, February 22, 2018 9:53 PM

I never noticed until just now that my keyboard has the right start key also. I guess it is for special people!

Sent: Thursday, February 22, 2018 7:03 PM

I must have a slightly different keyboard since mine came with the mouse. On the right of the space bar I only have the alt key, the context key, and a ctrl key. Why would you need a second Windows/Start key? I have never had a keyboard with two.
M

Sent: Thursday, February 22, 2018 3:02 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Hi Clifford & Dane,

Thank you very much for the key verification, but 1 last question.  My Windows / Start key to the right of the spacebar doesn't work, & the software isn't very accessible.  Do y'all any have tips on how I can get this key to start working the way the Windows / Start key on the left side does?  All help will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks mooy moocho.
Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement.  In the end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.
Sent: Thursday, February 22, 2018 11:30 AM

Dane’s list of keys seems to be complete to me.  I verified that the first key opens the web browser and the second the default email program.  The last five from right to left are volume up, volumn down, track ahed, track back and play/pause.

I still haven’t had a chance to find out what the others do, but mostly, they didn’t appear to do anything.  I’m guessing that you can program them somehow for specific functions.

I’ll ask someone at home tonight and will reply tomorrow.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mike B.
Sent: Wednesday, February 21, 2018 7:34 PM

Hi Clifford,

That would be very nice.  Thank you very much for all your help & input.

Sent: Wednesday, February 21, 2018 10:01 AM

They are media functions.  The further one to the right is volumn up and the one to it’s immediate left is volumn down.  Those are pretty much the only ones I use, but I know there’s a pause, a track up, a track down and I think a couple of fast forward/reverse keys.  Mine is at home and I’ll try to get you a better list of what they do tomorrow.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mike B.
Sent: Tuesday, February 20, 2018 9:07 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] Microsoft Wireless Keyboard 2000, Help

Hi All,

I received my wireless keyboards today, & I have 1 question.  Above the, F keys, there are some buttons / keys that perform certain functions / tasks.  If someone knows, would you please tell me what each of the buttons / keys do?  These keyboards are really nice, but I would like to label these buttons / keys beforeI press 1 of these keys, & all hell breaks loose!  LOL  LOL  The literature that came with the keyboards is absolutely worthless!  All help will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks mooy moocho.

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.