Re: texting keys

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Monte,

The note below is for a Samsung Haven.  Maybe they'll be the same or close to your phone.  If they help let me know & I'll hunt for some more notes.

To get punctuation you use the 1 key.  Depending on what punctuation mark
you want, how many times you press it determines which 1 you get.  Below is
the list. the number is how may times to press & the punctuation mark next
to the number is what you'll get after the that number of rapid presses of
the #1 key.
Here are the ones I know:

1. Period
2. @ sign
3. Question mark
4. Exclamation
5. dash
6. -comma
7. ampersand
8. colon
9. apostrophe
10. slash

For texting or a new contact you can access more symbols by doing the following:
There are a couple I don't know.  But, I usually use Word Mode for texts and go into the menu to choose them.  To do this, press right soft key, 1 for new contact, press the right soft key again, press 6, for symbols, or arrow down to symbols & press okay.  and then arrow through the choices.  There are three screens of symbols.  So, to go to the next page, press the right soft key, again.
Take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.
Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement.  In the end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, February 25, 2018 5:56 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] texting keys

Hi Mike,

I’m using the Samsung Rugby 4.

It is a flip phone with the usual keypad layout.

Thanks,

Monte

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mike B.
Sent: February-24-18 9:05 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Hi Monte,

Specifically, what cell phone are you talking about?  Typing the letters is the same, but accessing punctuation marks & other texting options could be different.

Take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.
Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement.  In the end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Saturday, February 24, 2018 6:57 PM

Thanks, a good start

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: February-24-18 7:21 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

On a feature phone where you text with the keyboard?  You need a bit of simple explanation and instruction, not a sheet with all sorts of commands. 

The keys for entering letters are almost identical to the way keys represent letters on a phone's touch pad.

The letter a is 2 pressed once.  B is two pressed twice.  C is two pressed three times.  And so on.  Three pressed once is d.  Pressed twice, it's e.  Instead of memorizing all these, just use them.  Count up on the keyboard and type the letter you want.

Seven is four letters.  They are p, q, r, s.  Nine is four letters, w, x, y, z.  I'm not sure about every punctuation sign.  But the phone has a back space key.  Number 1 is the key where most of the punctuation marks are found.  Press it once, it's a period.  I don't remember the others, I text very little. You can see what they are by pressing 1 once, then backspacing to remove what was written in the text you are experimenting with.  Then press the key twice quickly and another punctuation mark will be written in the text. 

Again, instead of memorizing these, if you count up when you need to, and meantime only remember the few you will use regularly, you don't have to do more. 

Space is the pound key to the right of zero.  

Gene

Sent: Saturday, February 24, 2018 5:09 PM

Subject: [TechTalk] texting keys

Hi listers,

Does anyone have a sheet with the keystrokes for entering text, puncation, numbers and of course the ‘space’?

Thanks,

Monte

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.