From: Pamela Dominguez
Sent: Thursday, March 1, 2018 6:47 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Canute, the world’s first affordable multiline Braille e-reader, with 360 cells.

I agree; I’d love to see one of these!  Pam.

Sent: Thursday, March 01, 2018 6:11 AM

Sure can't wait to get my hands on one of these and report on what it's all about. I'll bet my local NLS outlet will have one sooner rather than later.

On 2/28/2018 5:33 PM, Geoff Eden wrote:

Canute, the world’s first affordable multiline Braille e-reader, with 360 cells.

Canute is a radical new Braille ereader, designed with and by the blind community. Canute will be the world’s first multiline Braille e-reader, dramatically widening access to Braille around the world.

Paper Braille is expensive and extremely bulky. Digital Braille costs thousands of pounds for just forty characters in a single line. By contrast the Canute will be;

  1. Radically affordable at around the price of a new iPhone or Perkins Brailler, or £2–3 per character, which compares to £40+ in existing Braille displays. Canute has 360 characters over nine lines, making digital Braille literacy 20 times more affordable. (Final retail price to be decided over the next few months, as we approach full production.)
  2. Multiline. There are many uses where multiline are considered hugely more appropriate than single line, including mathematics, tabular data, music notation and the formatting of prose.
  3. Built in active co-operation with hundreds of members of the Braillists Foundation.
  4. Designed and manufactured in Britain.

Canute will begin its final pre-production testing pilot in March 2018. Contact us to register your interest.

“With Bristol Braille’s Canute, you will be able to condense your Braille library into one simple reading device”

Royal National Institute of Blind People

Fig: Canute Mk12 prototype being read.

AbilityNet Tech4Good
                      Accessibility Award 2017

AbilityNet Tech4Good