Re: Optacons.

Steve Matzura

A friend of mine had use of a Brain Port for about a year. His experiences with it were very positive. But it has to be weird walking around with this thing in your mouth, and then you have to talk to someone and they're standing there wondering why you have this wire running into your mouth! Very odd device.

On 3/15/2018 5:50 PM, Sharon Hooley wrote:
Actually, you know what I would like to do with that sort of technology?  I’ve started playing with electronic building kits.  If you become a pro at how to use stuff like that, you can create useful devices, which would cost much less than manufactered ones.  Right now I’m waiting to see if I can get the brainport, so, if insurance won’t pay, it would cost me $10,000.  But I figure that if I could make a wearable set of pins with sensors and a camera, one could read, so to speak, objects in view.

As for the optacon, maybe it stopped being manufactured is because other technologies like screen readers and Braille displays can be used more quickly and effective.  I might be interested in buying one from him.

On Mar 15, 2018, at 3:39 PM, Sharon Hooley <shooley42@...> wrote:

How much does he charge for one?

On Mar 15, 2018, at 12:52 PM, Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...> wrote:

There is one contact in California, Richard Oehm, who still has Opta cons available for sale. He also repairs them. I have two of them, have been a user since 1974. I think they are one of the grandest thing ever made available for blind people and recently read my cousin’s published mystrery novel with mine.

Hope your day is a diamond,

Carolyn