From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jaffar Sidek
Sent: Tuesday, March 20, 2018 10:37 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Uber Self-Driving Car Hits and Kills Pedestrian

Anyway, what makes human driven cars any safer? Add in such human depravities as Drink driving, wrecklessness, hit and run incidences, and you find that self-driven cars could be in fact, much more safe since computers are incapable of sinking into inhuman levels. I've travelled on airplanes that are put on auto pilot to allow the human pilots needed rest, And I'm still around to tell the tale, as I suspect, some of you are too. Cheers!

On 3/20/2018 9:35 PM, Mike Thomas wrote:
News reports this morning on the accident, claim the woman was
crossing the street illegally by not crossing at a crosswalk.
Autonomous cars cannot predict and may not be ready for irradic human
behavior. This car also had a human backup. Where was his
interaction? I continue to be in favor of the technology.
Undoubtedly those human indiscretions will attempt to be taken into
consideration by the vehicles, but not all situations can be
prevented. Had that have been a small child that didn't clear the
hood of the parked cars, human drivers as well as autonomous cars
could not have prevented the tragedy. If you consider the miles
driven by autonomous cars without an accident, I'm sure the safety
factor is far ahead of cars with human operators applying makeup,
reading the headlines of a news story, talking or sending a cell phone
text, etc. I'll much easier entrust my safety to the technology of
today above that of a distracted public.
Mike