Re: Accessible File Explorer Alternative

Steve Matzura

Like I said, sadly and seriously mistaken. LOL. Thanks for the update. I've had trouble with Explorer replacements as far back as XP, so I've stayed away from them.

On 4/27/2018 8:39 AM, Rick Alfaro wrote:
You are mistaken, it is possible and also easily undoable with at least 2 file explorer replacements that I've seen. I just setup my Xplorer 2 to do this and it works quite well and undoing it is as simple as toggling it off in its native settings.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steve Matzura
Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2018 7:50 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Accessible File Explorer Alternative

`Unless I am sadly and seriously mistaken, it's either not possible or very complicated to change what Windows uses for a file exploration application, and if it is possible at all, there's an inherent danger in doing so. If the third-party application crashes or becomes unusable for any reason, the user effectively loses access to Windows since it all hinges on the explorer interface. If you do find a way to make a third-party application replace File Explorer, do it with full image backup in hand in case it cannot be undone and things go badly.

On 4/25/2018 8:21 PM, Joe Orozco wrote:
For the moment I’m experimenting with the FileDir application Ann was
kind enough to share with me. It looks great, but I didn’t realize I
needed to first go to that application to make it work with my various
folders and files. Will this also be true of Xplorer? I guess I was
thinking I could click on the Dropbox icon and have the new
application automatically kick in, completely bypassing File Explorer.
I want the process of interacting with files to be more efficient, not
add another step, but if this is the logic behind File Explorer
alternatives, I’ll quit my whining and get used to the bigger
advantages. Thank you all so much for patiently answering my
questions.

Joe

On 4/25/18, Rick Alfaro <rick.alfaro@gmail.com> wrote:
Same here. In fact, I just upgraded to the latest 4.x release. This
is the Cadillac of file managers IMHO. Completely accessible with
tons of redefinable hotkeys and now with macros as well. I haven't
really explored the new macro feature but it sounds interesting.
Totally accessible right out of the box with JFW and I would imagine
with NVDA as well as Narrator although I haven't used the program with those screen readers as of yet.