Re: laptop keys problem

Pamela Dominguez

Yes.  I did it, and it only seems to work half way.  It allowed me to use the alt key without the function key, so I could do alt f4, but when I go to raise and lower the volume control, the function key won’t work for that.  Pam.

Sent: Sunday, April 29, 2018 9:00 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] laptop keys problem

Did you try holding the FN key and pressing escape to see if it switches the behavior of the function keys back the way they were before?

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Pamela Dominguez
Sent: April 29, 2018 9:57 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

No.  My laptop only is open when I am using it.  Pam.

Sent: Saturday, April 28, 2018 6:33 PM

Hi Pam,

If you always use the external keyboard and your laptop sits open most of the time, it is possible that dirt and dust have built up underneath the keys. In this case, the first thing that I would try would be a can of compressed air to see if the dust can be blown out of the keyboard enough to fix the problem. If this does not totally fix the issue, then try a can of Electronic Switch Cleaner. Spray it directly into the computer over the entire keyboard area, and then allow between 5 to 10 minutes for the cleaner to evaporate inside the computer. Now turn the laptop on and see if this has remedied  your problem.

Be sure to shutdown the computer before trying either of these methods.

Michael

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Pamela Dominguez
Sent: Saturday, April 28, 2018 4:44 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Okay; if I got an update from the manufacturer, I didn’t realize it, somehow.  Pam.

Sent: Saturday, April 28, 2018 4:55 PM

I don't know what caused the change.  the function key is on when it isn't depressed.  When you depress it, it's now off.  A lot of laptops are that way.  others can suggest how you can change it to the old way.  Do you get updates from the manufacturer of the laptop?  I really don't think it's a good idea to get such updates and I never do.  Windows updates are one thing and they should be gotten.  But manufacturer updates are, in my opinion, better not gotten.  I suspect a manufacturer's update caused the change, though we'll see what you say about whether you get them.

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Saturday, April 28, 2018 3:28 PM

It works, but it seems to work grudgingly.  I had to do it several times.  Why would I have to do function key alt f4?  It never worked that way before.  And why wouldn’t the function key work for anything else?  Pam.

Sent: Saturday, April 28, 2018 3:34 PM

Try holding the function key and using the alt f4 command.  Let us know what happens.

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Saturday, April 28, 2018 2:23 PM

Subject: [TechTalk] laptop keys problem

I hope somebody can help me with this.  At the moment, I am using a wireless keyboard on my Lenovo Thinkpad 550 laptop.  But if I go to use its own keyboard, some of the key commands don’t seem to register.  First of all, the function key is just to the left of the control key.  Any commands that I need to do using the function key don’t register as such.  The only keys that register are the other keys that I press along with it that are not the function key.  For instance, I can’t raise or lower the volume using the function key commands, because the only keys that register are the top keys of the comand.  Also, just recently, I have noticed, I can’t do alt f4 or control f4 and have that work.  If I do alt f4 the only key that will register is the alt, so instead of asking me if I want to shut down, it will put me in the menus, which may or may not have an exit choice.  It doesn’t matter how I press these keys; whether I press them together, or whether I press one and hold it down while I press the other, and how quickly or slowly I do it.  Can anybody tell me what I might be able to do to fix this?  I hope so.  Thanks in advance.  I sent a message to blindtech, and haven’t heard back yet.  Pam.

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.