Re: laptop keys problem

Pamela Dominguez

I’m not talking about going into the volume control and doing it.  Both of my laptops had a quick way to raise and lower the volume control from where you are without having to go into the toolbar, or whatever it’s called and find the volume control and enter into it and up or down arrow to raise and lower it.  My dell laptop, you used function key page up or down.  This one, you use function key send and end, I think.  Pam.

Sent: Sunday, April 29, 2018 9:45 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] laptop keys problem

You can raise and lower the volume when the function key isn't pressed.  As I said yesterday, a lot of laptops these days reverse the function of the fn key.  It is on when it is not being pressed and off when you press it.  You have to reverse its setting to get it to work as it did before.  On some computers this can be done with a Windows setting.  In some, it must be done by a sighted person in the BIOS.  There may be another way you can try to change it but I'm not sure. 

Gene
Sent: Sunday, April 29, 2018 8:01 AM

I tried the function key escape, and it allowed me to do alt f4 without using the function key.  But I stil can’t raise or lower the volume using the function key.  So the problem seems only to be partially fixed.  Pam.

Sent: Saturday, April 28, 2018 7:19 PM

I don't know if you did.  Laptops usually have a utility that is active by default that automatically updates the computer such as by updating drivers provided by the manufacturer and probably in ways I don't know anything about.  I'm suspicious that the utility may have updated the BIOS and changed the setting that determines how the fn key works.  Those who know more than I do technically can comment on whether that makes sense and on whether the manufacturer's update utility usually updates the BIOS. 

Gene
----- Original message -----
Sent: Saturday, April 28, 2018 4:43 PM

Okay; if I got an update from the manufacturer, I didn’t realize it, somehow.  Pam.

Sent: Saturday, April 28, 2018 4:55 PM

I don't know what caused the change.  the function key is on when it isn't depressed.  When you depress it, it's now off.  A lot of laptops are that way.  others can suggest how you can change it to the old way.  Do you get updates from the manufacturer of the laptop?  I really don't think it's a good idea to get such updates and I never do.  Windows updates are one thing and they should be gotten.  But manufacturer updates are, in my opinion, better not gotten.  I suspect a manufacturer's update caused the change, though we'll see what you say about whether you get them.

Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, April 28, 2018 3:28 PM

It works, but it seems to work grudgingly.  I had to do it several times.  Why would I have to do function key alt f4?  It never worked that way before.  And why wouldn’t the function key work for anything else?  Pam.

Sent: Saturday, April 28, 2018 3:34 PM

Try holding the function key and using the alt f4 command.  Let us know what happens.

Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, April 28, 2018 2:23 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] laptop keys problem

I hope somebody can help me with this.  At the moment, I am using a wireless keyboard on my Lenovo Thinkpad 550 laptop.  But if I go to use its own keyboard, some of the key commands don’t seem to register.  First of all, the function key is just to the left of the control key.  Any commands that I need to do using the function key don’t register as such.  The only keys that register are the other keys that I press along with it that are not the function key.  For instance, I can’t raise or lower the volume using the function key commands, because the only keys that register are the top keys of the comand.  Also, just recently, I have noticed, I can’t do alt f4 or control f4 and have that work.  If I do alt f4 the only key that will register is the alt, so instead of asking me if I want to shut down, it will put me in the menus, which may or may not have an exit choice.  It doesn’t matter how I press these keys; whether I press them together, or whether I press one and hold it down while I press the other, and how quickly or slowly I do it.  Can anybody tell me what I might be able to do to fix this?  I hope so.  Thanks in advance.  I sent a message to blindtech, and haven’t heard back yet.  Pam.

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.