Re: I've largely changed my mind about Chrome, I like it much more now

Allen West

I switched to Chrome last year with some reluctance. It started when
Firefox would not let me login to one of my email accounts. It kept
saying that my account or password was invalid. I was able to login
with other browsers. I started using Chrome and found that I liked it
a lot.

Allen

I may have sent messages in the past in which I expressed a much stronger
liking for Firefox than Chrome. At this point, I've changed my mind and,
unless things change over time, as they may as Firefox continues to
implement its new internal technical changes, I consider Chrome to be
superior for general browsing. I haven't tested it for uses such as
streaming or RSS or other uses. I will therefore only address general
browsing and the interface. Others may want to comment on other aspects I
haven't compared.

This is a long message, a bit of a review and a bit of discussion of the
interface. I hope those interested in the subject find it useful.

If you try Chrome and find it superior for general browsing, you may still
not want to use Chrome as your main browser. There are various
considerations. I'll explain why I changed my mind and what you may want to
consider. You may have other or different considerations as well.

The reason I say Chrome is better for general browsing is because it loads
pages faster than Firefox. You may want to compare and see if the
difference is important to you. There is a very noticeable difference. I
hadn't compared Chrome with Firefox for speed on a fast machine. I compared
them on a slow machine running XP perhaps six or eight months ago. I had
expected that, if Chrome was faster, there would have been a noticeable
difference, even though the machine was slow. But there wasn't a difference
that amounted to anything.

I recently decided to compare on a reasonably fast machine running Windows 7
since many people have said on lists I'm on that Chrome is faster. There is
a very noticeable difference in speed on my Windows 7 machine. I don't know
what the results would have been on a fast XP machine.

I haven't used Chrome much but the increase in speed is the reason I say
it's better for general browsing.

The Chrome interface is different than Firefox or Internet Explorer. It
isn't difficult to learn but it is different. You will likely want a
tutorial or some instructional material. If you are good at learning by
exploring, you may not want or need such material, at least not to use in
depth, but you may benefit in early learning by using material.

The main things to know in terms of the differences in the interface are
that Chrome shows many things as web pages, such as settings and history and
there is one menu, which you can open with alt f, that is, hold alt and
press f. Of course, there are submenus and there are also items that open
like web pages such as settings.

I don't recall if there are classic dialogs that open from the main menu.
But if you work with settings, you need to know that the settings interface
doesn't work quite properly in the following way:
It's a web page-like interface but there some controls that don't work as
they should. I tried to activate two buttons today and I couldn't do so in
browse mode using NVDA. I don't know what JAWS does. I had to manually go
into forms mode, and activate the buttons. I may have had to tab to the
button because forms mode may not have been properly calibrated with browse
mode in that interface, at least at times.

I seem to recall that in another instance, I needed to be in browse mode to
activate something but I'd have to experiment more to know if that is the
case since I don't have a clear memory of whether that was necessary.

There's a very useful settings search feature in settings.

One of my main objections to Chrome in the past was that the book marks
interface is not nearly as comvenient to work with as Firefox because the
search feature in Chrome book marks appears to be inaccessible. I very
recently learned from someone on a list I follow that this problem can be
more or less eliminated. I say more or less because I haven't played with
it much, but enough to see that it works well or reasonably well. I'm
hedging because I'd want to play with it more before saying just how well it
works. It' appears to work well from the very little testing I've done. If
you are in the address bar, you can type some or all of what you want to
find such as york times or new york times and you can up and down arrow
through results. Some of them will be search results using a search engine
but the top results in the list should be from book marks and history. Try
reading the current line after typing to see if that contains the first
result. I haven't played with the feature more than a little and I'm not
sure. But if it works well, this would eliminate what I consider to be an
important deficiency. In other words, this feature may make book marks just
as easy to use in Chrome as in Firefox.

If you use Firefox extensions that you consider important and use them a
lot, that may be a consideration in which browser you want to use. and
then, there's just convenience of not learning a new interface and
continuing to use the familiar Firefox. You, of course, can determine
questions like that. It's nice to have pages load a good deal faster, but
the importance of speed may vary from user to user. But if you haven't
compared with a hands on test, you may wish to.

Browsing is either identical or nearly identical between the browsers
because they both use browse mode, or the Virtual PC cursor, which is the
JAWS name for the same thing.

So you can compare by installing Chrome, and then opening and using some web
sites. Control l moves you to the address bar, just as in Firefox. I
believe when you open Chrome, you are automatically placed on the address
bar, but you can check. If you want to make sure, it takes almost no time
to execute control l.

I hope those who are interested in this subject find these comments useful.
If people are curious or dissatisfied with Firefox or another browser, they
may want to try Chrome. I haven't used Edge at all so I don't know how Edge
compares.