Re: Issues with Recovery

Eleni Vamvakari

hahahaha No multiplying please! *smile* One of me is enough. Thank
you for the levity. I really needed it.

On 14/05/2018, Bachir Benanou via Groups.Io <ben_bach=yahoo.fr@groups.io> wrote:
    The poster of this message is masculine and therefore an
appropriate pronoun can be used when writing to him, lol

Thank you for having remembered to include my name when you replied to
my message.

May you prosper, Madam, may you prosper and multiply! lol

And say hello to the poster of the message.

Good luck again.

Bachir
Le 14/05/2018 à 18:51, Eleni Vamvakari a écrit :
The poster has a name, and is female so an appropriate pronoun can
also be used when writing about her. In any case, How do I find these
other tools? The drive canot be found. I even tried installing
Windows10, since the installer is fully accessible, but it couldn't
see the hard drive at all.

To answer your questions, Bachir, the hard drive says 160gb, but only
149gb showed during installation. Originally, it said that Windows
could not be installed to a GPT partition. There were three showing.
One had most of the 149gb, and the other two were only a few mb each.
Following instructions that Lee and I found, we deleted all three,
giving us access to the full 149gb. I found it odd that we weren't
advised to reformat, but Windows installed properly and worked for a
while. No drivers were slipstreamed. We installed 32-bit Windows 7
Ultimate. Thank you! I need all the good luck I can get!

On 14/05/2018, Bachir Benanou via Groups.Io <ben_bach=yahoo.fr@groups.io>
wrote:
    Hi,

Three questions here, in the hope of getting you on the right track: how
big is your brand new hard drive?

Did you slipstream the necessary AHCI drivers?

Finally, assuming that everything is MBR based, are you trying a 32-bits
or a 64-bits Windows?
Good luck in getting your machine up and running!
Bachir

Le 14/05/2018 à 04:16, Eleni Vamvakari a écrit :
I am at a complete loss right now! In my 22 years of using computers,
I have never seen anything like this! I booted the disk and decided
to check the Computer option, to see if I could get into my hard drive
that way. There is nothing important on it, but I wanted to test a
theory. Sure enough, it's showing Boot X as the hard drive and C is
removable. There are no other drives listed. X is the dvd, and C is
completely inaccessible! Now, I'm wondering if my hard drive crashed!
How could that even have happened, given the fact that it was brand
new! Lee literally took it out of the box and removed the plastic
from it! I know it's not the tool, because I was able to access a
drive on one of my desktops with it about a week ago.

I'm thinking, for the time being, of installing some form of Windows
onto a usb thumb drive, if only to be able to use this machine, until
I can send it off for a professional repair. I know that I can do it
with 10, and probably 7, and I even found a site for installing XP in
this way! Note that I am not talking about booting from it, but
really running Windows from the drive itself.

https://superuser.com/questions/1117858/how-to-install-and-run-windows-xp-operating-system-on-an-external-hard-drive-or

If I install 10, though, it will strictly be so that I can run my XP
virtual machine, and it will only last for 30 days. If nothing else,
that installation speaks, though I may be able to do it directly from
inside of the Windows on one of my desktops, in which case, any
version will be fine. My other option is to install Vinux, which I've
only ever played with occasionally for fun. But I'm not sure how to
do this. I know of Rufus, which supports it, but that's only for
creating bootable disks. *sigh*

On 13/05/2018, Eleni Vamvakari <elvam2167@gmail.com> wrote:
Okay. I tried the commands, exactly as written, and it said "the
device is not ready". I then entered c: although I should have
entered cd\ to get to the root directory and then c: but anyway.
Again, it said "device is not ready". I am wondering if there is an
issue with the hard drive. It's brand new! When Lee tried to install
Windows, it said something about a GPT partition, but he deleted that
and Windows installed and worked properly. What on Earth is going on!

On 13/05/2018, Eleni Vamvakari <elvam2167@gmail.com> wrote:
I had to power off my new computer because I lost speech again. Now,
it won't start. I thought it was just the usual Windows 7 feature
where I have to choose an option which doesn't speak, hit tab twice
and then hit enter to start the system again. That happened with my
desktop and it worked correctly after that. But nothing seems to be
working.

I was successfully able to start the Talking Windows PE disk. I went
to Start-up Repair, which I accessed both on its own and then through
System Recovery. Both times, when I tried to start it, it said "If
you have recently attached a device to this computer, such as a
camera
or portable music player, remove it and restart your computer.  If
you
continue to see this message, contact your system administrator or
computer manufacturer for assistance." Nothing is attached to the
computer except the dvd rom drive, which is a usb device. It's also
worth noting that, when it asks me to select an operating system on
the drive, it says "Unknown" and there is no way for me to check the
list of options, if any exist at all. It's supposed to say Windows 7
Ultimate. I did nothing that would result in a removal of the
operating system from the drive. I then chose "load drivers" and
inserted the full Windows disk, thinking that it might try to install
or repair from there, but it asked for a file name instead.

I found some information on the problem here, though the author
mentions signatures and reporting to Microsoft. I didn't receive
that
option, or if I did, NVDA didn't read it.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/startup-repair-cannot-repair-this-computer/718e1c0c-a907-404e-b48e-700e4e65c248?auth=1

Most of the solutions at that page were inaccessible with a screen
reader, such as booting into safe mode and booting into advanced boot
options. But one seemed doable.

"When you are notified that startup repair cannot repair the
computer,
click dont send then go into the system recovery/repair options, you
want to click on "Command prompt" here.

Once in, enter the following commands:

bootrec /fixmbr

followed by:

bootrec /fixboot

Each command entered should give u a confirmation that the operation
completed succesfuly, if so, reboot the system and hopefuly windows
should boot normally. Not a 100% fix for getting to the route of the
problem but this should let you access your system again."

If that doesn't work, is it possible to completely install Windows 7
using the disk that I have? As I said in another thread, I would
prefer XP, but at this point, anything is better than nothing,
especially if it works properly.

Thanks,
Eleni

--