Re: Figuring out which Wy-Fi Network to hook up too?

Gene

I should add that there are connections that show as unsecured which, when you connect, require you to open your browser and enter information on a web page.  I don't remember details about this since I have very seldom worked with such pages but that is another thing that may happen if you try to use a connection that you have to log into in some way.

From: Gene
Sent: Saturday, May 19, 2018 9:08 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Figuring out which Wy-Fi Network to hook up too?

I would think that the name of a business such as a coffee shop should be made obvious by the owners.  Whatever the case, do you hear an indication of signal strength as you go through the names?  Since you were in the parking lot, the signal would be expected to be in the strongest range, excellent.  I would also expect that the connection would be shown as unsecured.  I'm not sure about that because I have very seldom used such public WI-FI signals.  but the signal strength and what I would expect to be an unsecured connection should be very good clues.

You can try connecting to as many signals as you want.  All that will happen if you can't use the signal is that you will be asked for a password, which you won't know.