Re: Seeking Computer Microphone

chris judge

Just my opinion, but I’ve always had better luck with USB microphones, as they by-pass the sound card completely, thus the type and quality of the sound card in your computer is not important.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: May 30, 2018 5:42 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Seeking Computer Microphone

A microphone with a plug, not a USB connection, and that works in devices like tape recorders is not compatible with computers and is not a computer microphone.  I'm not saying it can't be used with all sound cards, but as far as I can tell, most sound cards require computer microphones.  Most sound cards send a current through the microphone jack.  the microphone allows the current to flow through it and when sound is encountered, the diaphragm modulates the current.  It doesn't produce current, as a tape recorder compatible microphone does.  If you plug a computer microphone into a tape recorder it won't work under those conditions.

I don't know how many tape recorder type microphones are available in the cheaper price ranges these days, but you can't assume that any microphone with a plug is compatible with a computer.

Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2018 2:03 AM

A microphone should be compatible with any device that has the proper jack to accept it's plug. The sound quality produced by a fairly inexpensive microphone is probably high enough to produce what you are looking to do. Very high quality microphones are seen in the prices, and really should only be needed for people such as musicians, recording engineers or audiophiles. Your best bet to find a good price on a decent computer microphone is probably eBay or Amazon.

Michael