Re: Seeking Computer Microphone

chris judge

Just my opinion, but I’ve always had better luck with USB microphones, as they by-pass the sound card completely, thus the type and quality of the sound card in your computer is not important.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: May 30, 2018 5:42 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Seeking Computer Microphone

A microphone with a plug, not a USB connection, and that works in devices like tape recorders is not compatible with computers and is not a computer microphone.  I'm not saying it can't be used with all sound cards, but as far as I can tell, most sound cards require computer microphones.  Most sound cards send a current through the microphone jack.  the microphone allows the current to flow through it and when sound is encountered, the diaphragm modulates the current.  It doesn't produce current, as a tape recorder compatible microphone does.  If you plug a computer microphone into a tape recorder it won't work under those conditions. 

I don't know how many tape recorder type microphones are available in the cheaper price ranges these days, but you can't assume that any microphone with a plug is compatible with a computer.

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2018 2:03 AM

Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Seeking Computer Microphone

A microphone should be compatible with any device that has the proper jack to accept it's plug. The sound quality produced by a fairly inexpensive microphone is probably high enough to produce what you are looking to do. Very high quality microphones are seen in the prices, and really should only be needed for people such as musicians, recording engineers or audiophiles. Your best bet to find a good price on a decent computer microphone is probably eBay or Amazon.

Michael

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Eleni Vamvakari
Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2018 1:56 AM
To: main <main@techtalk.groups.io>
Subject: [TechTalk] Seeking Computer Microphone

I am seeking a new (to me, not necessarily modern) computer microphone.  My criteria are that it works with Windows XP and 7, that it's small, portable, doesn't require batteries, is omnidirectional with a decent range (20 feet at minimum), and has no built-in noise cancellation.  It can use either usb 2.0 or a 3.5mm jack, though I might prefer the latter, as it won't drain the battery, and I can use it with my Logitech sound card.  To put things into perspective, right now, I use an original Samson Go Mic and a Go Mic direct.  The issue with the original is that it tends to produce static if I'm not paying attention.  If I move the Direct, even slightly, it loses the usb connection.  But when they work properly, the sound quality of these microphones is excellent.  I can't get the Go Mic Connect for my laptop, because it's apparently huge!  I have also used a wonderful ear-hook microphone with a 3.5mm connector that came with a camera, though unfortunately, I don't know the brand.  Finally, my best friend owns both an Iphone 4 and an SE.  While the SE is obviously better in most regards, I find that its microphone lacks the richness of the 4.
Is there any way that I can reproduce that sound on a pc?  I really like it!  I found some Apple Plaintalk microphones on Ebay, though I'm not sure if they can be used in Windows or not.

Thanks,
Eleni

--
Facebook: elvam2167@...

anyaudio.net: elvam2167

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.