From: Gene
Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2018 3:41 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Seeking Computer Microphone

A microphone with a plug, not a USB connection, and that works in devices
like tape recorders is not compatible with computers and is not a computer
microphone. I'm not saying it can't be used with all sound cards, but as
far as I can tell, most sound cards require computer microphones. Most
sound cards send a current through the microphone jack. the microphone
allows the current to flow through it and when sound is encountered, the
diaphragm modulates the current. It doesn't produce current, as a tape
recorder compatible microphone does. If you plug a computer microphone into
a tape recorder it won't work under those conditions.

I don't know how many tape recorder type microphones are available in the
cheaper price ranges these days, but you can't assume that any microphone
with a plug is compatible with a computer.