Re: Which is the better product; Google Home or Amazon Echo?

Walter Ramage

Hi.  AS I said, I'm just toying with the idea.  The main motivation is radio and in particular the convenience of radio listening and channel change.  However just like with a smart phone which I was late coming to it tends to have a life of it's own.  All I wanted from the phone was to send texts and make phone calls but by osmosis, features such as GPS, email, OCR etc have been very useful.  As for using a PC to send a FM signal to an FM radio, all of the radios in my home are DAB radios, and in the UK Analogue radio users are now in the minority, things are moving digital.  The Price of an Echo is equal to a good quality DAB radio and in fact the Dab radios I have here were more expensive but are not accessible when it comes to setting up and station selection unless you get sighted help to set it up.  A few years ago the Sonas1 DAB radio was great as it had full speech feedback and all stations were spoken and it was a joy to use but my radio got fried in a lightening strike a few years back and unfortunately the Sonas 1 is no longer available.  I'm not really worried about sound quality reproduction, within reason, because I have a high end hi-fi system with which I am very pleased as far as sound quality is concerned but down stairs while having a meal or in bed, it would be handy to have something that is convenient to use.  Walter.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: 03 June 2018 18:59
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Which is the better product; Google Home or Amazon Echo?

I don't recall the prices of the products.  If your main interest is, and continues to be radio, then it's a waste of money, in my opinion..  You can get more radio stations using your computer and you can send the signal, using an FM transmitter, to all the radios in your house.  Using an FM transmitter, I don't know if you'll lose any sound qualitty, but you should get good sound.

But you may decide, on learning more about what these devices do, that you want one for radio as well as other things.

Sent: Sunday, June 03, 2018 12:45 PM

Hi folks.  It hasn’t interested me in the past but I’m toying with the idea of purchasing either a Google Home or An Amazon Echo.  The problem is, I don’t know which product is the best, especially in the area of accessibility.  My main use for the product would be radio listening.  I do have a number of DAB radios in the house but their presets are limited and it requires pressing a number of buttons to get the station required.  With either Google or Amazon I can ask for that station to be played.  I guess other skills might be useful but I don’t know all what is available however I’m not interested in having it turn on and off lights since I never use lights since I am total.  I understand that Amazon have a much wider range of products but I’m not really concerned about appearance as it is irrelevant to me.  Also I know some echoes have touch screens but do they have audio feedback?  As I have said, I’m toying with the idea and haven’t made my mind up but when I do and if I decide to make a purchase I’d like to have some idea of what I’m about to spend my money on.  All comments welcome.  Walter.