Re: pet rabbits for blind people?

Leedy Diane Bomar

Over the years, I have many rabbits as pets, for me, as a child and for each of my 3 children.

Growing up, we kept I only had one at a time, and because we lived in South Florida, they were kept outside in a cage or hutch. I would play with them outside, but never let them hop around the yard. Their cage needs to be cleaned often, as it gets very smelly.

Your son must spend time handling the rabbit, hand feeding, and petting to keep it tame. I have rabbits that bite, most will not. Have had female rabbits eat their young, and male rabbits spray outside their cage while in their cage.

My kids always had their rabbits inside, as we lived in colder climates.

My son, as an adult, devoted a room in his house for two rabbits. They were litter box trained, had toys, and would hop around in the room and, even come into the rest of the house when they could be watched.

I never put a bell on them, but, that would be a good idea, maybe a cat collar. Doubt that you can take it outside on leash or otherwise. They do chew a lot, and expecially love electrical cords!They can easily get behind furniture and create havoc with cords and such.

There is a primitive antipathy between dogs and rabbits. The only time I heard a rabbit scream, is when being chased by a dog. That is a sound, I hope never to hear again!
I wanted to write privately, as this is very OT for this list, but, didn’t see a way to do this.
Feel free to write to me privately if you have questions. Bomonkee53@gmail.com

Good luck,

Diane Bomar

On Jul 12, 2018, at 17:19, Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@windstream.net> wrote:

Yes, they really like to chew. I have a friend who bought one of those lightning cables from Accessible Electronics. She hadn't had it but a couple of months, said it broke, like it was brittle. There are four dogs in the household, two of whom are big, big dogs. I told her my bet was that a dog chewed, because those cables wouldn't break. She loves dogs, and it was hard to believe. I said put it in a box or something out of chewing range, and told her that audiologists warn people with hearing aids to put them up in a container, because a dog will chew them, if they find them.

Best regards,

Carolyn