Re: pet rabbits for blind people?

Leedy Diane Bomar

Over the years, I have many rabbits as pets, for me, as a child and for each of my 3 children.

Growing up, we kept I only had one at a time, and because we lived in South Florida, they were kept outside in a cage or hutch. I would play with them outside, but never let them hop around the yard. Their cage needs to be cleaned often, as it gets very smelly.

Your son must spend time handling the rabbit, hand feeding, and petting to keep it tame. I have rabbits that bite, most will not. Have had female rabbits eat their young, and male rabbits spray outside their cage while in their cage.

My kids always had their rabbits inside, as we lived in colder climates.

My son, as an adult, devoted a room in his house for two rabbits. They were litter box trained, had toys, and would hop around in the room and, even come into the rest of the house when they could be watched.

I never put a bell on them, but, that would be a good idea, maybe a cat collar. Doubt that you can take it outside on leash or otherwise. They do chew a lot, and expecially love electrical cords!They can easily get behind furniture and create havoc with cords and such.

There is a primitive antipathy between dogs and rabbits. The only time I heard a rabbit scream, is when being chased by a dog. That is a sound, I hope never to hear again!
I wanted to write privately, as this is very OT for this list, but, didn’t see a way to do this.
Feel free to write to me privately if you have questions. Bomonkee53@gmail.com

Good luck,

Diane Bomar

On Jul 12, 2018, at 17:19, Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@windstream.net> wrote:

Yes, they really like to chew. I have a friend who bought one of those lightning cables from Accessible Electronics. She hadn't had it but a couple of months, said it broke, like it was brittle. There are four dogs in the household, two of whom are big, big dogs. I told her my bet was that a dog chewed, because those cables wouldn't break. She loves dogs, and it was hard to believe. I said put it in a box or something out of chewing range, and told her that audiologists warn people with hearing aids to put them up in a container, because a dog will chew them, if they find them.

Best regards,

Carolyn

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Steve Matzura
Sent: Thursday, July 12, 2018 6:33 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] pet rabbits for blind people?

I dono, rabbits love to chew, and wires are so ubiquitous in our lives, blind or not. I don't know which would be worse--a rabbit or a kitten in this regard.

On 7/12/2018 6:26 PM, TerriLynne Pomeroy wrote:

I would be concerned that the exclusive use of a ball wouldn’t give him the opportunity to exercise his hind legs through hopping. Balls can also get dirty inside if the animal deficates inside of it. So it would be good to clean it often.

I do think you could get him a collar with a bell from a pet store. They sell them for cats and dogs.

TerriLynne

TerriLynne

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io> [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of rex wisdom
Sent: Thursday, July 12, 2018 2:28 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] pet rabbits for blind people?

Petsmart has balls for rabbits.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io> [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Josh Kennedy
Sent: Thursday, July 12, 2018 2:14 PM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io <mailto:main@techtalk.groups.io>
Subject: [TechTalk] pet rabbits for blind people?

hi,

Not sure else where to post this since there are no blind pet owners lists at least none I found… I only saw stuff like guide dogs lists… I just bought my 11-year-old son who is sighted, a pet rabbit. And it seems quite easy to take care of for him. It peed on him and the sofa a little so I just sprayed some general purpose cleaning stuff on it and he changed his clothes. It's still a baby bunny yet, though. But I wonder if you can somehow put small bells on bunny rabbits so if you let them out of their cage you know where they are at? Or if its best just to put them on a small leash and walk them around outside so if its on a leash you always know where it is at? And the bunny rabbit waste gets collected in a tray under the wire cage and you just dump it out in the backyard. And rabbits are quiet, generally don't need expensive vet visits, and are fluffy like stuffed animals. They are also affordable and so is the stuff to care for them is also affordable. But just wondering once my son gets older and moves out, I wonder if rabbits could be slightly or would have to be adapted a little so perhaps they also would make good pets for someone who is totally blind? They also do not stink or smell bad at all. They have a pleasant smell to them I think. And rabbits can also be trained to go in a litter-box like a cat. The rabbit he has is a french angora rabbit. One of the really big fluffy ones, or it will be once it grows up and is not a baby anymore. It's quite soft and fluffy and nice like a extra super-fluffy stuffed animal that's of course alive. The only sound I hear from my son's rabbit is when he jumps around in the cage and plays with his 4 or so toys I bought for my son for the rabbit, and that sound he makes when playing, just sounds like a quiet pin-setter machine at a bowling alley because of how the cage is made. The whole setup plus the rabbit only cost around $160 or so. So what do you all think?

Josh

Sent from Mail <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows 10

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.