Re: Wi-Fi without internet service.

Janet

Gene,

I use my cellular service from my phone carrier for my iPhone.  I haven’t used any Wi-Fi service on my phone in about a week just to see how it would be without using Wi-Fi, and so far it is fine.  I can search, stream, etc with just using my cellular plan.  With my phone carrier, I have unlimited texting, calling, and data.  I don’t want to pay for Uverse with ATT because I don’t do very much with my computer lately.  I can’t imagine ATT doesn’t have a cheaper plan than $55 a month.  ATT is always trying to charge more to the customers because they always are trying to talk me in to signing up for TV, for the fastest internet speed etc. 

Janet

Janet

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2018 4:25 PM
To: Gene; main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Wi-Fi without internet service.

Also, I am assuming you are still using the copper wire network.  If you switched to fiber optic cable, I don't know what plans are available for that. 

In addition, do you use your phone with your Wi-Fi at home?  Do you use your phone for streaming music with Wi-FI or for things that require more speed than the slowest AT&T service might allow?  Do you do these things enough that you want to continue to use Wi-Fi on your phone or do you want to just use your phone service data plan for that?

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2018 4:17 PM

Wi-Fi is a way to communicate over short distances between a router and a device such as a computer.  It is a means of radio communication to allow you to do things without being physically connected to the modem or router by a cable.  that's all it is.  You can have an Internet connection without Wi-Fi.  You could have a Wi-Fi connection without Internet service but it would be useless.  Your computer would be connected to the router and the router would not be connected to the Internet.  It would be like being connected with a cable to your router and your router not being connected to the Internet. 

You must have an Internet service provider.  If you don't want much in the way of Internet Service, find out what the very slowest plan is that AT&T offers.  I don't know if it is still available, but my parents had a very slow DSL service for years that they paid something like 14 dollars a month for.  If you do nothing but e-mail and look at web pages, that plan may be adequate.  I don't know if the plan is fast enough to allow streaming of audio but you indicate you just want to do Internet searches, which implies that you just want to look at web pages and use e-mail.

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2018 3:31 PM

I you have unlimited data on your cell, Janet, that will
work, but if you have limited data like we do, well, I guess
we pay one way or another.

Best regards,

Carolyn

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of janet gross
Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2018 4:23 PM
To: 'main@TechTalk.groups.io' <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Subject: [TechTalk] Wi-Fi without internet service.

Hi Everyone,
Does anyone know if there is a way to have Wi-Fi service at
home without ATT internet service? I just received another
raise from ATT in which is $55 instead of $42, and they say
they have no promotions going on, and might not for a while
either.  I don't like paying $55 just to search online.  I
can use my phone to do this.  Matter of fact, I just use my
cellular service on my phone.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you all.
Janet

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.