Re: Dear Pam and Gene Thanks, I will hold down the left shift key in my Windows 7 machine just in case! Thanks , Dear Friends, How to I figure out what a CD disk is without it installing?

Gene

I misunderstood the message.  I don't know what happens if you hold the right shift down.  Does a dialog come up asking if you want to use filter keys or are they just turned on?  Whatever the case, left shift should be used to avoid any unwanted behavior. 

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2018 9:17 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Dear Pam and Gene Thanks, I will hold down the left shift key in my Windows 7 machine just in case! Thanks , Dear Friends, How to I figure out what a CD disk is without it installing?

Gene,
Reread my message, I said "filter keys" not "sticky keys."
The shortcut for enabling filter keys is hold down the right shift key for 8 seconds.
See this link:
Chris

Sent: Mon, Aug 20, 2018 9:06 PM EDT
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] Dear Pam and Gene Thanks, I will hold down the left shift key in my Windows 7 machine just in case! Thanks , Dear Friends, How to I figure out what a CD disk is without it installing?

In Windows XP, the information for using the shift keys says the following:
The shortcut for StickyKeys is press the SHIFT key five times.  I very much doubt this has changed.  In other words, either shift should do this.

Also, in XP, I just tested this and pressing and holding either shift key doesn't cause the do you want to turn on sticky keys dialog to come up.  Repeatedly pressing the key does.  Therefore, unless testing shows what I've found to be wrong in other versions of Windows, there is no reason to worry about the sticky keys dialog coming up when you do this.

Gene
Sent: Monday, August 20, 2018 6:35 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Dear Pam and Gene Thanks, I will hold down the left shift key in my Windows 7 machine just in case! Thanks , Dear Friends, How to I figure out what a CD disk is without it installing?

Hi,
The right shift key will enable filter keys if you hold it down for  a
few seconds.
So hold down the left shift key and not the right.

Chris Grabowski
Mystic Access
WHERE THE MAGIC IS IN LEARNING!
https://www.MysticAccess.com
Ready to begin using your assistive technology with confidence while actually having fun? Visit us to learn about our comprehensive audio tutorials, one-on-one support and ongoing teleclasses. We also offer eclectic and timely assistive technology podcasts, a newsletter containing exclusive news and discounts, regularly updated free downloads, and so much more.
Phone: (716) 543-3323  (Ext. 500)
Twitter: MysticAccess
Facebook: mysticaccessempower

On Sun, 19 Aug 2018 19:08:40 -0500
"Gene" <gsasner@...> wrote:

I didn't find a lot on this specific question but it appears from what I did find, one document is from 2018 and is by Microsoft, that holding the shift, the left shift wasn't specified so it appears either one will do, will stop autorun.  It was stated as a generally applicable procedure so it should apply in whatever version you are running.

Gene
Sent: Sunday, August 19, 2018 6:44 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] Dear Pam and Gene Thanks, I will hold down the left shift key in my Windows 7 machine just in case! Thanks , Dear Friends, How to I figure out what a CD disk is without it installing?

Dear Pam and Gene Thanks, I will hold down the left shift key with my Windows 7 just in case! Thanks , Dear Friends, How to I figure out what a CD disk is without it installing?

With best regards
God Bless
Alan
Plantation, Sunny South Florida
Sent: Sunday, August 19, 2018 4:41 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Dear Friends, How to I figure out what a CD disk is without it installing?

Even so, it's better not to take the chance just in case something installs something to allow a talking installer to run.  It probably won't permanently install anything, it's probably very unlikely, but in the old days, Openbook installed Via Voice permanently so that the talking installer would run.  This was before it started using JAWS speech but after seeing that, I wouldn't assume that no installation program installs anything.  My recollection is that Window-eyes installed a synthesizer to allow the talking installer to speak as well.

I saw a comment that autorun is disabled in later versions of Windows.  I know that is true for removable media.  It may not be true for CDs.

I don't know what version of Windows is being used.  In the old days, you could press and hold the left shift key when you insert a CD to stop autorun.  In newer versions of Windows, I don't know if that works.  What version of Windows are you running?  You can turn off autorun.  I don't know if the procedure differs from one version of Windows to another.

Gene

Sent: Sunday, August 19, 2018 2:34 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Dear Friends, How to I figure out what a CD disk is without it installing?

A disk shouldn't install unless you tell it to.  Pam.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, August 19, 2018 1:48 PM
To: Tech Talk Groups
Subject: [TechTalk] Dear Friends, How to I figure out what a CD disk is
without it installing?

Dear Friends, How do I figure out what a CD disk is without it installing?

I am doing a big, big clean up of one of my storage closets, my  wife has
been bugging me for a long time, and well ..
I have stacks of CD disks, some are demo programs, some might be blank
disks, and got mixed with the others.but some might be old JAWS program
disks, or Open Book  programs.
Or other program disks, that I do not want!
How can I find  out  what a  Disk has  on it without getting into  trouble
with it installing by itself?
I am  totally  Blind, so any  thing printed on  the sleeve or printed on the
Disk is useless to me.
Thanks very  much for your help.

With best regards
God Bless
Alan
Plantation, Sunny South Florida

Chris Grabowski
Mystic Access
WHERE THE MAGIC IS IN LEARNING!
https://www.MysticAccess.com
Ready to begin using your assistive technology with confidence while actually having fun? Visit us to learn about our comprehensive audio tutorials, one-on-one support and ongoing teleclasses. We also offer eclectic and timely assistive technology podcasts, a newsletter containing exclusive news and discounts, regularly updated free downloads, and so much more.
Phone: (716) 543-3323  (Ext. 500)
Twitter: MysticAccess
Facebook: mysticaccessempower

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.