Re: Trouble with some RAR

Walter Ramage

Hi Nancy. I download things every day in copious amounts. I have always used winrar as my extraction tool. I do have 7zip on my system but it is there only as a back up and I never really use it. One of the reasons I like Winrar is if a archive contains a corrupt file or the archive itself is corrupted Winrar tells me this and will skip that faulty file. On the other hand I have found 7zip doesn't inform me of the problem and will download the part of the file that isn't affected. For example; if say a music album has 10 tracks and track 7 is corrupt then winrar will tell me this and skip track7 but 7zip seems to download the good part of the file so when you go to the extracted folder there are 10 files in there but it is only when you play track 7 that you discover there is a problem when the music stops right in the middle of the track. However a good little feature is 7zip will allow you to check the archive in advance to see if there is a problem with the archive but since I download hundreds of files in a week that extra step of checking each archive is time consuming so I've always stuck to winrar. There are a lot of extraction tools out there but since winrar has served my needs I've not used them. I use the free version of winrar though not the paid for version. Walter.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Nancy Hill
Sent: 23 August 2018 22:44
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Trouble with some RAR

Walter,

I forgot to ask what do you use to download things? I have used only
7zip for a number of years and wouldn't know how to use anything else.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Nancy

On 8/23/2018 4:19 PM, Walter Ramage via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi Nancy. Let me jump in here if you don't mind. I have had such messages in the past. I didn't see your original message but from the description below it sounds familiar. I am not saying I have the solution but perhaps a potential solution. In my experience if the archive is corrupt you are usually told this is the case but it would seem it can't open it at all. It could mean that you are trying to extract the files within multiple subfolders and as windows only allows something like 250 characters in a pathway it might be that you will need to try extracting it nearer your root folder. If the archive isn't buried too deep in subfolders then it is possible the file names in the archive are too long. I suggest you try extracting the files in your download folder and not inside any other subfolder, even better try doing so in the folder that bears your name. Also when you go to the context menu use the option "extract here." This will limit the pathway. If that doesn't work then I don't really know what to say and I am sorry for wasting your time. Walter.