Re: External drives and sleep mode

Walter Ramage

Hi  OK, thanks that is re-assuring.  I’ll give that some thought as I need to get this PC wiped and a re-install done so there is no point installing the utility until I’ve got that done.  Walter.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: 03 September 2018 13:35
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] External drives and sleep mode

It's in Life Hacker.  There is nothing wrong with it.  Life Hacker is a respected technology web site and is often cited.

I checked to be sure and I still have the utility in my collection.  It is the same utility as cited in the article.

Also, if you are still worried, you can send it to the Virus Total web site where it will be checked by something like ten or fifteen different antivirus checkers.  Of course, that's no guarantee but it may give you more assurance.

Sent: Monday, September 03, 2018 6:52 AM

Hi.  Thanks for your response.  I’m a little uncertain about installing something from a source I don’t know anything about.  If others had used this utility then it would be different.  You know the strange thing is that it is much quicker to disconnect the Western digital drive and then re-connect it and it spins up in seconds but doing that regularly will eventually cause problems with the connections.  I have had these two portables for a few years and think it is time to replace them so I’m going to order today 2 Seagate 5tb portable drives.  I’ve had no problem with Seagate drives and in truth the Western digital drives work great when awake but go to sleep too quickly and are a pain to wake up.  Walter.