Re: External drives and sleep mode

Walter Ramage

Hi  OK, thanks that is re-assuring.  I’ll give that some thought as I need to get this PC wiped and a re-install done so there is no point installing the utility until I’ve got that done.  Walter.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: 03 September 2018 13:35
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] External drives and sleep mode

It's in Life Hacker.  There is nothing wrong with it.  Life Hacker is a respected technology web site and is often cited.

I checked to be sure and I still have the utility in my collection.  It is the same utility as cited in the article. 

Also, if you are still worried, you can send it to the Virus Total web site where it will be checked by something like ten or fifteen different antivirus checkers.  Of course, that's no guarantee but it may give you more assurance.

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Monday, September 03, 2018 6:52 AM

Hi.  Thanks for your response.  I’m a little uncertain about installing something from a source I don’t know anything about.  If others had used this utility then it would be different.  You know the strange thing is that it is much quicker to disconnect the Western digital drive and then re-connect it and it spins up in seconds but doing that regularly will eventually cause problems with the connections.  I have had these two portables for a few years and think it is time to replace them so I’m going to order today 2 Seagate 5tb portable drives.  I’ve had no problem with Seagate drives and in truth the Western digital drives work great when awake but go to sleep too quickly and are a pain to wake up.  Walter.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: 03 September 2018 00:21
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

I forgot to give the link to the article.

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Sunday, September 02, 2018 3:52 PM

Subject: [TechTalk] External drives and sleep mode

Hi to all.  Can anybody give me step by step instructions on how to disable the sleep mode on my external drives please?

All my computers are Win7 64bit and I’m using Jaws 2018.

They all have ssds but as I get annoyed with the sleep mode I’ve disabled that function for my internal hard drive.  However I do have a number of external drives; some Seagate and others Western digital.  When these drives go to sleep I find the Seagate drives wake up and respond within a few seconds but by and large the Western Digital drives are so very slow to wake up.  One of the Western Digital passport drives can take as much as 4 or even 5 minutes before responding (I think it is in a USB 2 port) others not so bad but they still take a good couple of minutes to wake up.  This is true of both portable drives and also mains driven drives.  As I said, I’ve disabled the sleep function on my computers internal hard drives and I’m happy with that but the western digital drives are a royal pain and if I could disable their sleep function life would be a lot less aggravating.  I know how to go to control panel and power settings for my internal drive but I don’t know where to go for the external drives; could it be devices? And if so where or what do I look for?  Any help appreciated.  Walter.

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.