Re: how to rename files...

Walter Ramage

Hi Nancy. Yes there is a way. I use every day a utility called bulk rename utility. This is a great little programme and very versatile. It is freeware so have a look on line but if you can't find it then let me know and I'll upload my copy for you. Walter.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Nancy Hill
Sent: 07 September 2018 23:16
To: TechTalk
Subject: [TechTalk] how to rename files...

Hi All,

I hope there is a way to rename files within a folder.

Example: I download a folder entitled, The Day They Stole My Car and
went for a Very Long Joy Ride by John Smith. Inside the folder, the
files are titled:

01 The Day They Stole My Car and went for a Very Long Joy Ride by John
Smith.mp3

02 The Day They Stole My Car and went for a Very Long Joy Ride by John
Smith.mT3

03 The Day They Stole My Car and went for a Very Long Joy Ride by John
Smith. .mp3

42 The Day They Stole My Car and went for a Very Long Joy Ride by John
Smith.mp3

It may sound silly, but I do come across folders and files with names
that long and in order to be able to move the files, their names must be
shortened.

I would love to be able to rename the files without having to do it
manually 42 times. I would not mind if the files were just given
numbers as long as the new file titles could be computer generated.

Is there a way to sequentially number and/or rename the files? If so,
how is it done.

I am using a win7 PC with Jaws 2018.

Many Thanks for your help

Nancy