Re: Thinking of NVDA To Tame Column Headings in Thunderbird

Gene

If you don't want newer features, you could go back to an olderversion of Thunderbird that is set up as you want.  Don't forget to turn off updates after you install the old version.  I'm not sure this is necessary, but disconnecting from the internet during installation and staying disconnected while you turn off updates may keep the program from trying to update before you get a chance to change the setting.

If you want to know how to find old versions, ask here.  I checked once but I'd have to check again.

Sent: Tuesday, September 01, 2015 7:29 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] Thinking of NVDA To Tame Column Headings in Thunderbird

Hi, All:

I've used Thunderbird and POP3 for maybe three years since I migrated to
64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium since it has a couple of features I like
that the
other e-mail clients I tried didn't. The difficulty in later versions of
TB to move column headings such as whether threads are open or collapsed
to the
beginning of the message list view to the beginning of headings such as
subject date etc. is one of the things about Thunderbird that I don't
like. Unfortunately,
when I made a new folder to filter mail to for this list, the
open/closed heading is near the very end of the headings after date and
time instead of the
beginning as it is with a number of my other folders.  The inconsistency
is very disconcerting and the item I found in the view menu under
threads to expand
all threads doesn't seem to be consistent and it seems like when I
delete a message from the body of the message it will work as expected
for a couple
of messages then , I am asked if I want to delete the whole thread and I
have to expand it in the message list to delete that message and
continue with
the thread.  I couldn't find anything in options or account settings in
the menus that looked like it might help and I'd like to "tame" columns
in Thunderbird
38.2.0 permanently if I can so they will be in the order I want.

I think I remember that someone on another list said that NVDA sometimes
works better with TB than JAWS 16 does and, if this is correct, I
thought I would
try it.  Does anyone know how much of an immersion into NVDA it would
take to be able to move the heading columns in TB?

For a temporary measure, does anyone know of a solution to get all
threads in a folder to stay expanded?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Margaret