Re: Screen reader or keyboard reading trouble?

Gene

I see, from looking at your original message again, that you don't hear anything when you move by letter.  So you needn't answer that question.  but see if anything changes if you do the music experiment.  If that doesn't help, then I may not have further suggestions.

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, September 17, 2018 9:39 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Screen reader or keyboard reading trouble?

I want to be sure we understand the problem.  when you use the left or right arrow keys, do you hear the letter spoken fully even if there is a pause?  Or do you only hear part of the letter?  How about moving by word, the whole word or only part of the word. 

As a test, try the following:
Start some music playing, some soft music so you can hear speech well.  Then see if you get better results when you move by character and word.  also, see if you get bettter results when you use insert s.  Though the problem doesn't sound like it is connected with this, I want to try to determine whether some sort of audio enhancement isn't causing the problem. 

Gene
Sent: Monday, September 17, 2018 9:32 PM

Hi Mike, I am using Eloquence. 

I am sorry to say that after reading your message, I maximized the screen, but still got no verbal feedback for either the Jaws key with S or Jaws with the number row 2.

However, thank you for trying!

Sincerely, Vicky

I tried again after your message

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf of Mike B.
Sent: Monday, September 17, 2018 5:49 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Hi Vicky,

Are you using eloquence, or something else?  What verboscity setting are you using?  Also, make sure the screen is maximized.

When you press the Jaws key + S, you should be holding down the Jaws key and tapping the, S, key.  When tapping the, S, key you should hear these options, All, None, & Highlighted.  When you press the, Jaws key + 2, you should be holding down the Jaws key and tapping the, 2, key and should hear, Words, both Characters & Words, None, or Characters for your options.

Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sent from my iBarstool.
Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement.  In the end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.

Sent: Monday, September 17, 2018 2:15 PM

Hi Mike, When I pressed Jaws key with S, I got either silence or just a bit of an unrecognizable sound, no matter how many times I tried it.

The Jaws key with the number 2 on the numbers row, did respond, once out of 4 tries, but I got it where I wanted it.

Any other thoughts?  This speech problem is really driving me crazy!!

Many and very sincere thanks for your suggestions.

Vicky

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike B.
Sent: Monday, September 17, 2018 4:29 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Hi Vicky,

Try the following to see if this will help.

1. Press the, Jaws key + S, until you hear highlighted, and stop right there.

2. Press, Jaws key + 2, on the number row above the main keyboard until you hear, characters, and stop right there.

Now, see if these settings changes help if they were changed at all.

Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sent from my iBarstool.
Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement.  In the end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.

Sent: Monday, September 17, 2018 12:26 PM

Subject: [TechTalk] Screen reader or keyboard reading trouble?

Hello List, I have a Windows 10 desktop computer using Jaws 2016 and a wireless keyboard.

I am experiencing voice output delay when I try to use word by word or especially character by character.  This happens whether I am in Word 365 or in Outlook, which is also 365.

Reading current line or line by line is okay.

What happens with character reading is that when I press the right arrow, I get no response, but if I then press Jaws key with numpad 5 twice, it will then read that character.

I have tried a hew keyboard and still get this trouble. 

I have tried both a Jaws repair and even completely removing and reinstalling Jaws and it still has this problem.

Would trying these reading commands in NVDA or MS Navigator help diagnose the problem?

Both Microsoft and Freedom scientific say the problem is the other’s fault and are not giving me any more help.

Do any of you have any suggestions as to what I can do to resolve this or where I can turn for help?

Many and very sincere thanks for any help!

Vicky

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.