Re: Voice Overand voice-mail?

Leedy Diane Bomar

Vicky, I empathize with the issues you mention. My solution was to subscribe to Youmail. At first, their app was very accessible and user friendly, but, that changed a few years ago. However, enough of us have complained to the point, that they are taking it to heart, and redoing their app, specifically to make it more accessible. They have a free and paid plans. With the free plan, one cannot get ANY tech support. In fact, they will not answer their phones, and only return phone calls to paying users.

The benefits have outweighted the difficulties, for me, and I hope that their app will become more usable/accessible, soon. The benefits are:
— My voicemail is not held hostage by my ISP. If I want to change carriers, and keep the same number, my voicemail messages stay with my number.

— Their transcription of the message is very good, even when done by a bot.

— Messages are kept indefinitely, I have some as old as 2013, when I first got the service.

— It works well with forwarded calls. I have Vonage for my home phone provider, and, with that have simulring, meaning that my cell rings simultaneously when a call comes in to the home number. One can set up multiple numbers to ring simultaneously, and Vonage costs me under $20/month. All of my voicemail goes to one voicemail box, which is the number I have subscribed with YouMail.

— YouMail is very good at blocking scam/spam calls, and I can set up numbers, in addition to their system blocking known scam numbers.

— Because of the excellent transcription, usually I don’t actually have to listen to the message, but, can read it with voiceOver. When I do play the message, I can hear it much clearer than I could with my ISP voicemail.

The only way I can suggest to make VoiceOver from drowning out the message, with ISP voicemail, is to turn speech off to play the message, then back on, after the message has been played. This is a real pain!

Like so many things, voicemail used to be simple, but, with more frills has become more difficult for us to us to use.

I have a problem with that fact that VoiceMail of today is referred to as “visual voicemail”. IMO, this moniker encourages the mindset that without vision one cannot read text, or use apps. It then becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy, and further excludes accessible design considerations.

HTH,

 Diane Bomar

On Sep 19, 2018, at 17:27, Vicky Vaughan <vrvaughan63@...> wrote:

Hi List, I am using iOS version 11.4.77 on an iPhone 8.

Where I am having difficulty is when Voice Over is telling me about the particulars of a voice mail at the same time as the voice mail is playing.  When I use the 2 finger tap to stop Voice Over, so I can hear the message, the voice mail stops right along with the stopping of the Voice Over.

Have any of you run into this and have you found a solution?

Many thanks for any tips!

Sincerely, Vicky