Re: Navigating direct x screen in windows 10

Keith S

all available tutorials, and documentation would be much appreciated.  I am simply lost and do not know how to start using jaws.  Some commands are similiar in we and jaws but I am thinking those commands are window native commands and not so much screen reader specific commands that I know.

Thanks for the info

Keith

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, September 23, 2018 2:57 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Navigating direct x screen in windows 10

As a former JAWS user who knew a good deal about Window-eyes, I'll say that your main problems using JAWS may be that you don't know certain commands that do the same things in JAWS and Window-eyes and that you don't know the basic difference between the available cursors in the two programs.  Do you want suggestions about tutorials or documentation?  A lot of what you do should be very similar once you learn equivalent commands.  As far as the JAWS cursor is concerned, you turn it on and off in JAWS.  It isn't on all the time, as the Mouse Pointer is in Window-eyes.  In JAWS, you turn the JAWS cursor on with numpad minus, the key the farthest to the right on the top row of the numpad.  But in this case, you want to make sure it is both on and in the right window, where you are working.  The command numpad insert numpad minus, hold numpad insert and while doing so, press numpad minus, routes the JAWS cursor to the PC cursor. You use all the same navigation commands with the JAWS cursor, up and down arrow, control home and end, etc. to move around the window.  There aren't different commands, as in the Mouse Pointer.  There is somewhat more to learn but to move around the window as you want to do, that's all you have to know now.

To go back to the PC cursor, which   is what you were working with before, issue the command Numpad plus, the long key immediately below numpad minus.  That is, the long key on the farthest right column of keys that is right below the small key.  There are two long keys.  The one you want is the one above the long key that is the farthest down.  It's the middle key. 

In Windows 10, the JAWS cursor does much less than in earlier versions of Windows.  You can see if it reads what you want it to read.  If not, you may have to use the Touch Cursor, which I know nothing about, not having used JAWS to any extent for years.  Someone else can discuss that.  And JAWS users can refer you to JAWS training materials if you want.

Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, September 23, 2018 2:00 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] Navigating direct x screen in windows 10

Okay, someone on list suggested I give the stats on my windows 10 computer to the group to see what is slowing down my operation, compared to my xp machine.

I followed the directions to open up the direct x diagnosis page and I now need help in navigating the screens. In particular, I need some direction on how to go line by line in a screen taht does not act like a text document, whether is be wordpad, notepad or word.

I am a former Window eyes user and we had the "virtual mouse" using the numpad with num-lock off and we could hit the 8 and 2 keys to go up or down, line by line and have the screen reader read the line.

In jaws, what is the comprable actions to what I described to the window eyes navigation?

Not doing well with jaws and am really hating not using my new computer due to taht and the slowness of jaws on it.

Thanks

Keith

Join main@TechTalk.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.