Re: Learning the Phoenetic Alphabet

Ron Canazzi

Hi Blaster,

Thank you for this listing.  I knew I wasn't totally nuts over this--just partially <guffaw>!

On 9/24/2018 9:44 AM, Blaster wrote:
After Ron brought up the Able, Baker version of this alphabet I looked
it up and found the following info. An excellent resource if your ever
trapped behind enemy lines and need to contact the allied forces,
hahaha.

The old U.S. Navy Radio Alphabet:
Able
Baker
Charlie
Dog
Easy
Fox
George
How
Item
Jig
King
Love
Mike
Nan
Oboe
Peter
Queen
Roger
Sugar
Tare
Uncle
Victor
William
X-ray
Yoke
Zebra

The Western Union Phonetic Alphabet:
Adams
Boston
Chicago
Denver
Easy
Frank
George
Henry
Ida John
King
Lincoln
Mary
NewYork
Ocean
Peter
Queen
Roger
Sugar
Thomas
Union
Victor
William
X-ray
Young
Zero

In Asia you will still find a variant of the following phonetic
alphabet in common use, even by Airline Reservations staff (although
the pilots, of course, use the International standard):
Australia
Bombay
China
Delhi
England
Fiji
Geneva
HongKong
India Japan
KualaLumpur
London
Malaysia
Norway
Osaka
Penang
Queensland
Russia Singapore
Taiwan
Uganda
Vietnam
Wellington
X-ray

Yokohama
Zanzibar

Over and out,
Blaster

On 9/24/18, Smiling? <blind7@...> wrote:
The phonetics for the FAA (Federal Aviation Administration) are as follows:

Alpha

Bravo

Charlie

Delta

Echo

Foxtrot

Golf

Hotel

Indiana

Juliet

Kilo

Lima

Mike

Nebraska or November

Oscar

Papa

Quebec

Romeo

Sierra

Tango

Uniform

Victor

Whisky

XRay

Yankee

Zeebra or Zulu.

N and Z are the only two letters where there’s an option for the user to
determine which to use otherwise, this has been the FAA’s phonetic list for
several decades.