Re: technological resources for learning I P A symbols?

Leo Bado

hi, thanks to those of you who replied!

Leo Bado

El 23/09/2018 a las 15:35, Teri McElroy escribió:
Hi

One option for writing phonetic code is an online phonetic translator. You can paste the english text in to an edit box on the site and have it translated into phonetic script. I also managed to find one to translate from phonetic script to english but can't find the link right now. This one might get you started, and you can google to find more.

https://easypronunciation.com/en/english-phonetic-transcription-converter

For information on the braille for phonetic symbols, visit the ICEB website.

The other option is to use unicode. Here is the page I found which explaines how to get Jaws to read IPA symbols in unicode.

If you decide to go this route, I suggest you make backups of your files before modifying the tables in Jaws before proceeding in case you need to restore your original files if something goes wrong. It's not for the faint hearted. The page below gives step by step instructions for modifying the Jaws tables and I think there is also information in Jaws help on modifying speech characters.

http://www.ruf.rice.edu/~reng/jaws-ipa.html

Teri
On 23-Sep-18 1:52 PM, enes sarıbaş wrote:

hi,I am also interested in this. I am starting my master in linguistics next week, and will need to do this to participate in my phonology class. I assume brailling is required, as it doesn't appear possible to read these naturally as audio.

On 9/23/2018 3:36 AM, Leo Bado wrote:

Hi Teri,

I use jaws and n v d a as well, bothon their latest versions.

I haven’t e-mailto n v d a developers, probably I’ll ask on the international mailing list.

Sounds really interesting what you were ssayiing about modify jaws so it can say the names of the phonetic symbols.I’ll google it to see what can I find.

However, for now my main obstacle is that I can’t find any accessible info related to this.

For instance, I would like to find a web site describing the name of the phonetic symbol, followed by how to write it with a keyboard and if possible even an audio example.

As I said in my first message, all I had found is how to write those symbols using asciidecimal and hex.

I don’t know how to do that because I’m confused.

Once I figure out that, I would try to add new each symbol as an entry to the default dictionary.

I can’t tell it will work but so far I can’t come up with a better idea.

Leo Bado
El 22/09/2018 a las 13:57, Teri McElroy escribió:
Hello Leo

I would be interested to know if anyone else on list has answers to your questions, especially about writing phonetic or phonemic symbols. If you are a Jaws user, there is a way to modify Jaws so that it says the names of the phonetic symbols, but it won't pronounce words written with those symbols.

Which screen reader do you use? If you use NVDA have you emailed the developers to see if NVDA can be modified to pronounce the symbols? I found information on how to do this with Jaws by googling so there could be something similar for NVDA.
If you have difficulty understanding ESpeak, can you use another synthesizer?

Teri
On 23-Sep-18 4:02 AM, Leo Bado wrote:

Hello fellow listers,

I stop by to ask a question about learning phonetic sounds for English language and any accessible tech-tool related.

I’ve been looking for an accessible way to read phonetic symbols specificly with a synthetizer or may be a software.For my surprise espeak reads some of the phonetic sounds properly but it seems not to be able to read all of them, besides I have a hard time trying to grasp what espaek is trying to say due to its robotic sound.So, if anyone can give me a tip ere I would appreciate it.

I also want to know if someone knows how to write phonetic sounds, let’s say at least using ascii code.I foundcodes for ascii decimal and hexadecimal or something like that but I don’t know how to use those codes to write the symbol.

Lastly but no least, does anyone have international phonetic alphabet (I P A) on audio that be willing to share?

I take hints and remarks about how to face this situation, specially because I can’t find reliable technological resources in oreder to properly learn the international phonetic alphabet.

Thank you for any help or suggestion.

--
Leo Bado