Re: NVDA - Turning off and changing voices

Quentin Christensen

Oh, I also meant to say, if you would like to use another voice such as eloquence, you can't use the one you have with Jaws due to licensing restrictions, but you can purchase a version to use with NVDA.  See our page on extra voices here: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/wiki/ExtraVoices

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Fri, Oct 12, 2018 at 10:25 AM Quentin Christensen <quentin@...> wrote:
Hi Peter,

You can exit NVDA in (I believe) the same way you exit Jaws - Press NVDA+Q then ENTER.  The NVDA key is either INSERT (the default) or CAPS LOCK, depending on your setup.

To change the voices you can select a different synthesizer, and also adjust the options within the current synthesizer.

To use the NVDA menu (useful since you can get to all the other options this way), press NVDA+N, then either use the arrow keys to navigate, or press P for preferences, then ENTER for settings.

From Settings, press CONTROL+TAB to move to the Speech page.  One of the first options is a button to "Change" the synthesizer.

Alternatively, without using the menu at all you can press NVDA+control+s to jump straight to the synthesizer dialog.  NVDA+control+v jumps straight to the rest of the speech or voice settings.

Coming from using Jaws, you might be interested in a guide for switching from JAWS to NVDA: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda-community/wiki/SwitchingFromJawsToNVDA

We also have training material available which walks through all the features of NVDA, from the basics to quite advanced topics: https://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Fri, Oct 12, 2018 at 1:28 AM Peter Spitz <peter.a.spitz@...> wrote:
I recently installed NVDA onto my Windows 8.1 laptop and have two
questions so far.  First, how do I turn it off?  I wanted to switch
back to JAWS.  I tried control-alt-N  and couldn't find a choice to
shut down.  Also, is there a way to change voices?

Thanks,

Peter

--
Quentin Christensen